UKC

borderline films

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 02 Jun 2014
Films that are borderline between being genius/a bit rubbish really...

Children of the corn.
The birds.

jmerrick21 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Movie 43
andymac 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

#looks for tin hat#

Anything by Tarantino.

In fact , genius is being generous
 gd303uk 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:
Soylent green , omega man, planet of the apes, robo cop,silent running, night of the living dead.
All these films are a bit rubbish but genius,
Maybe their execution by today's standard makes them a little bleak ( I like that) but the story or message is brilliant.
Nearly every film I love could be in this category , rubbish yet brilliant.
Dario Argento films all fall into this rubbish genius league
Post edited at 20:48
 Duncan Bourne 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

5th Element - Should by all rights be B movie rubbish but somehow tips over into mental insanity that touches on self parody and comes out quite entertaining

gd303uk 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Milia is so good to look at especially in the Jean paul Gaultier kit,
It should be an incredible film luc Besson has directed some great films but yeah 5th element does tread a fine line between cack and good. Corny as fook ending.
 Blue Straggler 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Until the End of the World
In reply to jmerrick21:

> Movie 43

Amazon Women on the Moon
In reply to Choss:

Shoot Em Up
In reply to gd303uk:

I think you are being unfair on just one of the films you named there. Silent Running.

gd303uk 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

dont get me wrong i love Silent running, its ecological message (and acting by mr Dern) is great, i like these kind of films.
yeah, i might be a little unfair, i am wrongly comparing its scifi space scenes to the likes of 2001 when on its own it stand up well , Silent Running along with soylent had a big effect on me.
youtube.com/watch?v=NkF05D-NJMU&
In reply to gd303uk:

> yeah, i might be a little unfair, i am wrongly comparing its scifi space scenes to the likes of 2001

It's a very fair comparison seeing as the same guy was responsible (Douglas Trumbull, SFX on 2001, directed Silent Running)
In reply to Choss:

We might have a winner.

Streets of Fire.

gd303uk 02 Jun 2014
I didnt know that.
Maybe Ridley should have directed Silent Running and your man stuck to the SFX D
Post edited at 22:11
Removed User 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Eraserhead. That's the one for me.
In reply to gd303uk:
> I didnt know that.

> Maybe Ridley should have directed Silent Running and your man stuck to the SFX D

WHAT? But....Trumbull went on to also make Brainstorm....
Oh. Yes. You might have a point

But this is what makes Silent Running fab
"The three drone robots Huey, Dewey, and Louie (named after Donald Duck's nephews) were operated by four multiple-amputee actors: Mark Persons, Steve Brown, Cheryl Sparks, and Larry Whisenhunt."
Post edited at 22:21
 aln 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> 5th Element

My all-time favourite film.

OP Choss 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Phantoms... genius Dean koontz story, well executed for first half, then Becomes so rubbish you forget how good it is in parts.

genius or rubbish, i cant Decide?

But Affleck is the bomb, yo!
In reply to Choss:

Good call. Can't complain too much when you get Rose McGowan AND Joanna Going, both for the price of a cut-price made-for-TV bit of hokum.

Along similar lines (except it was quite high budget). LifeForce. Hard to tell how seriously it takes itself...then you see that Mathilde May is credited simply as "Space Girl" at the end
 JamButty 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Blade runner.....

<ducks...>

sbc_10 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

> between being genius/a bit rubbish

Thats a massive swing between the two. Can one person judge the same film to be both...?

well alright then....although they seem marvellous through rose tinted memory glasses, the reality is that they are a bit slow.

Phase IV
THX1138
Being There.
Vanishing Point.

gd303uk 02 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:
> Blade runner.....

>

Yes you should duck , Wtf is wrong with you

And I have just learned that Douglas Trumbull had his hand in this film; Blade runner, as well as 2001 .

And to Blue'
I quit like Brainstorm also, Christopher Walken was good in that movie.
Post edited at 23:53
 Tom Valentine 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Mulholland Drive.

Lots to like about it, but the more I watch it the less I understand it.
 jethro kiernan 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Under the Skin
 1poundSOCKS 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Struggling to understand this borderline. Sounds like looking for a climb on borderline between VDiff and E9.

I can see that some films might have bits of genius and bits that are rubbish, but I tend to judge it as a whole.
 The Pylon King 03 Jun 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Struggling to understand this borderline. Sounds like looking for a climb on borderline between VDiff and E9.

that'll be E0
 lucas95 03 Jun 2014
An absolute classic.......Point Break
 1poundSOCKS 03 Jun 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

That did pop into my mind when I wrote it.

I found an article about E0 on UKC, written by yourself and Fiend was it? Is that the origin?
 The Pylon King 03 Jun 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Fiend is the originator of the E0 concept although i am one of his disciples
 Blue Straggler 04 Jun 2014
In reply to lucas95:

> An absolute classic.......Point Break

That one crossed my mind and I have watched it many times, including quite recently, but in the end I could not class it as being in any way "a bit rubbish".

If it's on any borderline, it's the one between "rushes along so fast that you feel it all just WORKS" and "just too silly if you stop and think for a second"
 lucas95 04 Jun 2014

You just have to look past the massive continuity errors, broken surf boards that are magically mended, surfers going left, then right and the left again all on the same wave and the never ending free fall. To a very good action film with one of the best chase scene's ever filmed and and some very good dialogue.

"No way Bells is bigger then Waimea bro"
 Blue Straggler 04 Jun 2014
In reply to lucas95:

You forgot to mention the most dreadful "day for night" shooting ever put on film!
 lucas95 04 Jun 2014

Didn't want to get bogged down writing all of them.
 BnB 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

How is Eraserhead anything but genius?
 Blue Straggler 07 Jun 2014
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Yes it's a bit "Marmite". I think the measure of the films that meet the OP's criteria is that those who think they are "genius" have no hope of ever convincing the naysayers that they are not "rubbish". I liked Under the Skin but if someone pressed me to tell them what was actually great about it, I would certainly struggle...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...