UKC

where would you go with 10k to travel on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ian1234567 02 Jun 2014
hey guys and girls,
thinking about going away for as long as possible? where would you go?
i have a van and all the time in the world to make 10k last as long as possible thinking of
options
1. Drive around Europe font-verdon,alps,riglos-el chorro then back to arco etc or
america Denver- boulder- moab- el cap then mexico-brazil who knows
base jumping n climbing areas advice needed thanks?
where would you go?
many thanks
 Dauphin 02 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

Sell the van. Central America - Honduras, Panama. Belize. Guatemala. Colombia. Venezuela. Bolivia, Peru. Cheap. Forays into northern Chile & Argentina - expensive. Off the grid dude, learn a lot of Spanish and maybe some Quechuan in 12 months.

D
 alan moore 02 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

Sounds like fun. Me, I'd go to Dorset, Torbay, Dartmoor, Lizard, Penwith, Carn Gowla, Culm Coast, Lundy, Avon, Gower, Pembroke, Merionydd, Snowdonia, Gogarth, Lleyn, Staffordshire Grit, Dark Peak, Yorkshire Grit, Lakes, Northumberland, Galloway, Arran, Arrochar, Glen Coe, Cairngorms, Lochaber, Garbh Bheinn, Ardnamurchan, Skye, Torridon, Carnmor, Assynt, Caithness coast and Outer Hebrides.
If there was any money left, I'd do it again.
Hope you have a good time...
In reply to ian1234567:

One place I'd go back to is Morocco. Loved it and cheap to live. Massive amount of climbing potential.

Martin

Or, if you wanted to blast through 10k in the fastest possible time, Bhutan
 tim000 02 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

hippy trail to kathmandu . not sure it`s still possible though.
Graeme G 02 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

Mmmmm.....done it with £12K. 4 week campervan trip in Oz with wife and 2 kids.

Aside from covering huge distances the major spends were hiring a 4WD in Alice and driving ourselves to Palm Valley (seriously one of the best days of my life) and taking my teenage daughter cage diving with great white sharks off Port Lincoln (again incredibly memorable).
 alasdair19 03 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

driving a small rugged van round india would be a laugh. still very cheap. I'd either do a lot himalayan trekking or ski la grave for a season and then go trekking.
 pebbles 03 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

eat really cheaply and travel the coast from the northmost part of alaska down to mexico via the pan american highway then back up through the rockies and across to Quebec?
 pebbles 03 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

no, across europe and the caucasus to Lake Baikal, down to mongolia and then up again to Kamchatka!!!! now that would be a trip of a lifetime
OP ian1234567 03 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

wow, so many new ideas thanks a lot.
 brices 03 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

Two of us did a 13 month trip round europe in a van for around £9k.
visited
costa blanca area, Margaleff, sijurana, rodellar, albaracin, tres ponts, st lorrent de montgai, gorges du tarn, venasque, ceuse, magic wood, riglos, Arco, Font and more that i forgot about or were only there for a few days.

Main cost was Fuel and food. Depends on what you want to do with your trip. Our aim was sport climbing and bouldering. Decide what you want to do pick all the places you want to go for it, join the dots and make your own trip.
 The Potato 03 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:
cycle around all the continents, although I dont know if money would be a factor for most trips for me as its taking time off work that would be the inhibitive factor.
I still want to cycle to the black sea but can't take enough time off!
Post edited at 11:33
 Edradour 03 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

I would do a ski season without having to work. Probably in North America because the skiing is amazing and it is nothing like as crowded as Europe.

If I had money left over I'd hang around and do some mountain biking / climbing / trekking in the Rockies during the summer.
 seankenny 03 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

Every single destination in Europe can be done in a week's holiday from home. So go somewhere further afield.
 jack_44 03 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

For me it would be a few trains to Moscow, then the Trans-Siberian to Beijing via Mongolia, then down through China, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines to Australia or NZ. Either that or a big South American adventure. Or maybe India and the Himalayas! The possibilities are endless!
 newhey 03 Jun 2014
In reply to ian1234567:

I would back to St Kilda as many times as possible. Spent three days there at the beginning of May and it is stunning.
 goose299 04 Jun 2014
In reply to jack_44:

this
In reply to ian1234567:

I like the europe idea, im doing it this summer.
Font-Chamoix-Verdon-Nice-Arco-Dolomites-Innsbruck-Munich-Frankenjura-Frankfurt-Amsterdam

J

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...