UKC

Tent shelter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WeeTJ 03 Jun 2014
Hi, I have just purchased my own 1 man bivvy tent (Jack Wolfskin Gossamer).

It is a tiny tent, but being only 5ft I will fit both myself and my kit in it at once.

However, I am looking for ideas for additional shelter when cooking in bad weather (as there is no porch!).

I was considering some kind of tarp set up- but wanted to hear some ideas.

Would it be an idea to get a tarp to go over the entire bivvy tent?
Or should I get a small one to set up alongside the entrance?
How might I go about doing this?

Any ideas/comments will be greatly appreciated
 Flinticus 03 Jun 2014
In reply to WeeTJ:

If you want advice on tarps I've always found the people on outdoorsmagic.com to be the most knowledgeable.
 The Potato 03 Jun 2014
In reply to WeeTJ:

a highlander tarp is lightweight and has multiple attachment points, it would be big enough to cover the bivy in bad weather and serve as a shelter. This is what I would use, and take a roll of cord and a couple of spare pegs to tie it down with.
Removed User 04 Jun 2014
In reply to WeeTJ:

If you need a tarp AND a bivvy tent, would a normal tent not be more appropriate? Lightweight proper tents can come in at below 1kg these days.
 The Potato 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed Userrabthecairnterrier:

whilst that may be the case, they are very expensive, plus having a tarp is much more versatile and gives a much larger cooking / prep area than a tiny lightweight tent. If its decent weather a bivy will be quick to erect and dont have to bother with the tarp etc. pros and cons of each as with anything.
 ballsac 04 Jun 2014
In reply to WeeTJ:

i do something broadly similar - i've a tent you could cook in, but its all a bit of a pain - i tried 'lashing up' something that covered the porch area and made a bigger space bit it never really worked. i just put a standard tarp up in the immediate area of the tent and use it as a cooking, mooching, living area and use the tent as the sleeping area or bolt hole in utterly foul weather.

for this kind of thing you only need a basic sheet with eyelets, some pegs, maybe a walking pole or stick, and some bungees and a bit of string and you'll be able to pitch up anywhere.

if you aren't fussy about colour, you can pick up a 2nd hand, 7ft by 8ft desert DPM basha sheet on fleabay for £10...
 imkevinmc 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed Userrabthecairnterrier:

It's tarp OR bivi OR both. You don't get that option with a tent.

I use a Rab ridgeraider ands aussie hootchie combo. Hasn't let me down yet
OP WeeTJ 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Everyone:

Thanks for the comments and advice guys.

I am going to go ahead and buy a tarp.
I want one for camping with just a bivvy bag and tarp anyway!

Siward 06 Jun 2014
In reply to WeeTJ:

Looking at pictures of the tent it would have a usable porch to cook in if you just unpegged the inner and pull it back clear of the front of the tent. You can then pull it forward again when you need the full length to sleep in. That's what I do in my lightwave which is a similar design.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...