UKC

Anyone been or climbed in Spit in Croatia?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HarmM 03 Jun 2014

Hi Everyone!

I was wondered if anyone had been climbing or just on holiday in Spit or Spilt (not quite sure on how to spell it)and what they thought about the place

thanks,

Max
Removed User 03 Jun 2014
In reply to HarmM:

try Split

It's a great place with some really nice crags. I climbed in Marjan and Klobuk. Both offer great routes; Marjan has some really enjoyable slabs with friendly grading, while Klobuk offers longer, sustained routes (mostly slabs, but there's some overhanging tufa climbing, too.) Best time to visit is September - May; summers are just too hot.
 silhouette 03 Jun 2014
In reply to HarmM: As Zebdi says, summer is too hot because of the direction of the crags. However, there is deep water soloing there. You should be able to find a site about it on facebook and there are some topos which you can download.

JayK 03 Jun 2014
In reply to HarmM:

I've been to Split as a tourist. It was good as a 2 night stop between Hvar and Zadar. I'm not sure if I could have made it last a week though? Although, I get rather figity if I stay in the same place and I'm not climbing. Plenty of ice-cream.

Hvar was by far my favourite place. Went over there and hired a mountain bike. You can find some really awesome remote beaches. Shame they're mainly pebble beaches though.

Think I got a bus ride to Trogir from Split which is a cool little town with a wicked castle.
 muppetfilter 03 Jun 2014
In reply to HarmM:

As mentioned above marjan is an easy walk from the central marina (riva) in split, there is a great area of DWS called sustipan just north along the seafront. Must see things in Split are the Massive Roman Palace and hunt out the Black Cat Cafe near the station and market for good value meals
Iglusport is the local shop in town with friendly english speaking staff.

http://www.dalmatiaclimbing.com/index.php/climbing-areas
OP HarmM 03 Jun 2014
In reply to HarmM:

Thanks guys this is really helpful is it denenitly to hot to climb in summer even if you when early in the morning and in the late afternoon?
 silhouette 03 Jun 2014
In reply to HarmM:

> is it definitely too hot to climb in summer ...

Well I really don't know. All I can say is we had a great trip last July to other places in Croatia where it was not too hot to climb as long as the aspect was in the shade or it was evening. We needed to look at the guidebook very closely and sometimes move about during the day. The air temperature was not too high; it is the direct sun which is the killer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...