UKC

Malham parking problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Dyer, BMC 03 Jun 2014
I've been contacted today by Malham Parish Council about parking problems they're having with climbers near the Cove. In the last few weekends they've been noticing quite a few cars (which appear to be climber's cars from kit in the back), parking on the Cove Road outside the village which is causing congestion problems.

Cove Road beyond Town Head Barn (where there is a sign saying 'no parking for 3 miles') is too narrow to allow parking and the passing spots need to be kept clear to allow proper flow of traffic. Climbers previously parked behind the Cove Centre, but this area has now been blocked off after people were misusing it as an unofficial camp site/changing/toilet area which annoyed local residents.

They've asked me to re-iterate the message that's on the Malham RAD page (https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/viewcrag.aspx?id=264) that climbers should only park in the village, either in one of the limited number of free roadside spaces with honesty boxes, or in the National Park car park.

Please make sure you park in the village and help to maintain good relations with village residents and the council (who own the crag). It does mean a longer walk in unfortunately, but given that it's one of the UK's most stunning crags, it's a small price to pay.

Cheers,
Rob Dyer
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (England)
 Enty 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:

How lazy is that FFS!

E
 jon_gill1 03 Jun 2014
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:

the walk in is tiny even from the main car park!that's pathetic.i don't see the issue with paying to park or a slightly longer walk in!
In reply to jon_gill1:

Message received. I will park in the village in the future to keep the locals happy even though there is no legal obligation. I'll let the other miscreants know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...