UKC

Anti Virus for XP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamButty 03 Jun 2014

Sorry to dredge all this up again, the older post has been archived. I've read all the stuff in the link.
I suppose the scaremongering about this new virus has got me thinking.

I have an old XP desktop and I currently run MSE as the real time protection and also run Spybot ever so often for adware etc.
I get the usual warnings from MSE about updates and it keeps telling me I'm at risk.
I don't want to try and upgrade to Win 7/8 because in 6 months or so I'll get a new PC as this is gradually grinding to a halt with its age.

Is my protection good enough for the next 6 months or so?

Ta

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=583829
Post edited at 18:39
 The Potato 03 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I generally dont run any antivirus, I have avast on here somewhere that i run about three times a year and its always clean.
I find spyware scanners more useful and they do occasionally pick something up but again I dont run them more than once a month.

stay away from dodgy sites and use firefox
OP JamButty 03 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I'm already off IE and using Chrome browser, but still on XP, not thought about getting rid of that to be honest.
 The Lemming 03 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I have an eleven year old laptop that used to run XP but now does a Stirling job with Linux. Maybe for the next 6 months you could experiment with Linux until you get a new computer?

There are loads of different Linux operating systems to choose from however I like this one and its on my old laptop.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
 fire_munki 03 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I would follow the lemmings advice, Ubuntu (and it's lighter weight varients) will do a more than good job for simple browsing and office work.

within a couple days my fairly non pc savvy gf is quite happy using ubuntu on the netbook.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...