HILLTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Walking poles - influence on power output?

cb294 - on 04 Jun 2014
As per title, are there any solid data on the changes in power output between hiking with and without walking poles?

A book on trekking in Sweden that I have recently read claims that the power output of walking with two poles can be up to 40% higher than walking the same terrain without poles.

Clearly, using poles recruits additional muscle groups and makes you walk faster, but 40%? This is not about fast nordic walking, but wilderness hiking with a heavy backpack.

I am even more sceptical about the second claim, namely that the total energy consumption may go up significantly when using poles, causing a increase in total food required for a given trip. I can accept that you may have to replenish sugar more often when maintaining a higher power output / walking faster, but having to walk for shorter times should largely compensate.

Any opinions, data, publications on the topic?

Cheers,

CB
... not showing 16 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums