UKC

Who Will Win the Tour?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Fuller 04 Jun 2014
Chomping at the bit as it's only a month away now. So, big question: who will win the Tour? It's hard to see past Froome, but Nibali is strong and Contador might get it right. Will Wiggins ride...?

I'm going for:
1) Froome
2) Nibali
3) Wiggins (I think he'll get picked, but if not then Contador in 3rd)
 Chris the Tall 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

1) Bertie has been on excellent form this year, and has a point or two to prove.
2) Froome's got great form, but the team hasn't - with or without Wiggins they'll be very vulnerable.
3) Valverde going better than Nibbles this year

Hopefully I'll be as wrong as I was picking Cuddles for the Giro!

I'll also bet that one of those 4 will have a disaster in the first week, either in Yorkshire or Flanders

Cav, Sagan, Kittle for the first three stages.
OP Mr Fuller 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I agree with your predictions on the first three stage winners. I don't think Cav is by any means a certainty for the first stage, and think the first two stages as a whole will be very hard to predict because of the narrow roads, dry-stone walls, etc.. I think at least one major rider might lose sufficient time as to keep them out of the GC.
Springfield 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

If Wiggins doesn't ride it will be a massive marketing and PR 'own goal' by Sky
OP Mr Fuller 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Springfield:

Yup, that's a major reason why I think they'll include him. He may not be in the Dauphine squad, but he'll lead the Switzerland squad and they'll probably take the majority of the Dauphine squad and a few from Switzerland. It might all be a big hoax and they stick him in for the Vuelta, though.
 Chris the Tall 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

> I agree with your predictions on the first three stage winners. I don't think Cav is by any means a certainty for the first stage, and think the first two stages as a whole will be very hard to predict because of the narrow roads, dry-stone walls, etc.. I think at least one major rider might lose sufficient time as to keep them out of the GC.

My hope is that the hills on Stage 1 will take more out of Kittle than Cav. They are steep enough to cause a few splits in the peleton, but the long run-in will ensure it all comes together.

The end of Stage 2 will be fascinating. The 15 miles into Sheffield is all narrow, steep (both up and down) and twisting roads that will stretch out the peleton. There will be crashes. A break could well stay away, but if not it will be a case of who can get over the Cote de Jenkin Hill in a good position and the energy left to contest the short sprint
 abr1966 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

1 Froome
2 contador
3 Valverde

It'll be interesting but i hope Wiggins is prepared to ride for Froome..
 balmybaldwin 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I have a feeling that sky will be ganged up on having one it 2 years on the bounce, and Contador might do it.

Looking forward to seeing how it plays out. I think it would be wrong for them not to have Wiggo in the team, but they need to be clear about who is the team leader.
Kipper 05 Jun 2014

> 3) Valverde ....

Just taken a punt at 40/1
 gethin_allen 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

News on the BBC just announced that Wiggins is out.
Boooo.
 Chris the Tall 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Kipper:

That's good odds - I read on twitter that Andy Schleck was 24/1 somewhere. And that's to win, as opposed to finishing !!
andy guppy 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Hopefully anyone but Froome......Contador for me :]
Guppy
 Ciderslider 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

whoever can get the most drugs in them without getting caught
 Ciderslider 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andy guppy:
but contador is a cheating druggie
all be it a very good cyclist
Post edited at 22:43
 Liam M 08 Jun 2014

> That's good odds - I read on twitter that Andy Schleck was 24/1 somewhere. And that's to win, as opposed to finishing !!

On early season form I'm not sure I'd give him those odds on winning in a race of fellow nationals from his own team!
OP Mr Fuller 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Liam M:

I agree. Now Contador has stopped doping he seems to have settled as 'amongst the best' whereas Schleck is mid-pack at best. Scandal...
andy guppy 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

He was set up.......how many others would have been implicated if their samples were sent to that lab!!!
 Ciderslider 08 Jun 2014
In reply to andy guppy:

Maybe, the only person who knows for sure is him
 Sir Chasm 08 Jun 2014
In reply to andy guppy:

> He was set up.......how many others would have been implicated if their samples were sent to that lab!!!

And Lance thought he was just taking vitamins.
 Brass Nipples 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

And news in is that Wiggins is not out (yet)

Tom Hutton 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Froome... Wiggins will choke on his dummy
Contador
Valverde

And think Cav will be out-gunned in Aragut!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...