UKC

Excel Help - Gannt charts to calendar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 04 Jun 2014
I am trying to create a "plan" which shows projects in gannt chart form but also creates a calendar from the gannt chart data.

For example, the Microsft gannt chart is very good and you can input the data on the left and it creates the gannt chart on the right. Excellent.

However, I would like a separate sheet to be a calendar which might show the implementation of the projects.

Any ideas?
 Cú Chullain 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

When you say 'calendar' do you mean the presentation of start and finish dates of the respective activities?
 MtnGeekUK 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Microsoft Project or SharePoint calendar with a ga
> I am trying to create a "plan" which shows projects in gannt chart form but also creates a calendar from the gannt chart data.

> For example, the Microsft gannt chart is very good and you can input the data on the left and it creates the gannt chart on the right. Excellent.

> However, I would like a separate sheet to be a calendar which might show the implementation of the projects.

> Any ideas?

Microsoft Project or SharePoint calendar with a Gannt chart view will give you what you need.

PM me - I may be able to assist.
OP Cuthbert 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Sort of. What I mean is say project A takes place in the first three weeks of June, the calendar shows that project on each day of that period.
 Oujmik 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

This kind of thing will be an absolute mission to do well in Excel. It's possible, but it's really not the tool for the job.

If you had to do it, one way to do it would be to create the list of tasks in the form

Task1 StartDate Enddate

Then create a calendar with a line for each task and a column for every day and in every cell you need a formula along the lines of

IF(AND(ThisDate>=TaskStartdate,ThisDate<=TaskEndDate),1,0)

Then use conditional formatting to colour the 1s and 0s.
 cander 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Saor Alba:

Interesting you do this - I do it all the time at work - the planners prepare a Gantt chart (usually in Project or Primavera), but I prefer to put the milestones on an excel calander - just seems easier for people to grasp the timescale. - But I haven't found anything that does it automatically - if you do I'd appreciate a heads up.

Cú Chullain 06 Jun 2014
In reply to cander:

Or use Milestones Professional, a fraction of the price of P6 and quite good for thrashing out Level 1/2 schedules.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...