UKC

Weekend abroad scrambling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 04 Jun 2014
Thinking of grabbing a cheap flight for a weekend abroad scrambling. With limited time etc, where's best to go with:

a short flight away
little travel time and transport links between airport and destination
a good chance of decent weather
freedom to wild camp and scramble

Cheers
 mc2006 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

We have just booked flights in July in the summer holidays to barcelona for £200 for both of us, from there we are going to the pyrenees which is a couple of hours away.

Plenty of scrambling in the Pyrenees.
Cheap flights regularly to Barca.

Maybe an option?

Mike
OP Flinticus 04 Jun 2014
Possibly! Thanks. Will you be using public transport to get from Barcelona to the Pyrenees?

All suggestions (related to origial query) welcome
 mc2006 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Hire car for £120 for 6 days. Then we staying in a 2 bed apartment for £200 5 nights.

I believe public transport is possible to the pyrenees but we thougt it be a lot less hassle to hire a car, but we will see.

I would have thought it will be even cheaper out of school holidays but thats not a possibility for us.
Removed User 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Public transport is possible from Barca airport by train to Puigcerda and then a second train to Hospitalet on the Toulouse line. Cost to Puigcerda aprox €14 each way and takes about 3 hours with one change in the centre of Barca. From Hospitalet you can either go west and camp by the etang du Siscar. You are then surrounded by granite ridges with scrambles on them but be aware that many require some rock climbing skills and gear and abs. Alternatively go east to the ref des Besines. There are several ridges to the north with good scrambles. If you do hire a car, be aware that some of the "cheap" deals only cover you for driving in Spain and you need to declare that you will go to France, when a big surcharge will be added. I have tried to find my copy of the guide, without success. It's in Spanish so have a look on Google. Have a great trip.
OP Flinticus 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed UserMike Rhodes:

Cheers: no firm plans yet. Still considering locations and so on (also will need to put some cash aside)
 tlm 05 Jun 2014
In reply to mc2006:

£260 per week each! See - I told you £300 was a reasonable budget!

You will really enjoy it!
 mc2006 05 Jun 2014
In reply to tlm:

Yes I certainly cant complain. We cant wait!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...