UKC

UTMB qual races

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
notaclue 04 Jun 2014
The list of qualifying races for 2014 under UK seems to have a lot less than 2013

Any idea if the list is incomplete or in fact a number of races are no longer eligible?
 Bob 04 Jun 2014
In reply to notaclue:
They are changing the qualifying rules. The handling of qualifying races/events is being taken over by the ITRA (International Trail Running Association http://i-tra.org/ ) who now charge for the service. So quite a few races have decided not to be qualifying events.

Just checked this year's UK events and I see that neither the BGR nor the CRR are there. I know that one of the requirements is a valid GPS trace of the course so it's possible that this hasn't yet been supplied to ITRA. I'm part of the BG club committee so I'll check with the guy who was handling this.
Post edited at 15:11
 Banned User 77 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

> They are changing the qualifying rules. The handling of qualifying races/events is being taken over by the ITRA (International Trail Running Association http://i-tra.org/ ) who now charge for the service. So quite a few races have decided not to be qualifying events.

They called themselves that....

Very strange sequence of events.. suddenly identifying themselves as the international body..

They recently attacked the recent IAU World Trails tramps as controversial and lacking authenticity.. i.e. the French didn't win who typically cheat anyway.. (due to it being 5 laps).. they hold the next one so no doubt we'll see a french win and similarly no policing of their feeding tactics..

OP: Yes as Bob says. TBH I think them charging (well the UTMB) was fair enough.. I think the UTMB and ITRA are essentially the same body.. as races were using the name to attract runners, so why should the UTMB pay for that. The fee was hardly excessive. I do think RO's in the UK generally provide less and expect to pay out less than is typical elsewhere.
notaclue 06 Jun 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Thanks both - seems a number of races aren't willing to pay the fee. Emailed Lakes 100 organisers and they said they will not pay the fee
 Bob 06 Jun 2014
In reply to notaclue:

The fee isn't huge (€100) so for a typical event it's going to be under 50p per competitor - last year the Lakes 100 had 270 starters so that's 40c or about 30p per competitor. Of course there's the matter of principle which is probably what most are against.

Not sure how challenges like the UK big three rounds are going to fit in to this as we don't charge for anything since all the organising is done by the individuals themselves and we aren't an event.
 Banned User 77 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

The Paddy has no validating system so that has no chance of being included.. to have 'done' the paddy you just email Paddy and get on the list, there are a few on the list who's times are questioned IIRC, at least one.. and thats actually listed on the list. 'times dubious after x' or something like that. So its fair enough.

Banned User 77 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Bob:

The one thing that annoys me about this is there are probably more professionals in running who aren't actual runners as there are professional runners. I know a few who eek out a living (much easier in the US) yet plenty make money off the profile elite runners give them.

This weekend I ran the USA 50 mile trail championships and it's not been covered at all on irunfar, and I think to make it the race have to pay irunfar for the publicity. I understand them paying for on the day coverage but just race reports, is odd. It's not really fair on the guys who have won as they need the publicity to satisfy their sponsors.

Maybe it was purely that it was an East US race and irunfar is predominantly a West US website.
 Bob 06 Jun 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

I forgot that the Paddy is much the most informal of the three, though even the BG is hardly formal.

I don't follow irunfar but I get the impression that the US ultra scene can be rather fractious.
 liz j 07 Jun 2014
In reply to notaclue:

If you want a 4 point race that is a proper challenge in beautiful countryside, then enter the Cotswold Way Century Ultra in Sept.
notaclue 09 Jun 2014
In reply to liz j:

> If you want a 4 point race that is a proper challenge in beautiful countryside, then enter the Cotswold Way Century Ultra in Sept.

Is that mostly off road.
 liz j 10 Jun 2014
In reply to notaclue:

Yes, pretty much good tracks and pastureland. There are a few very short sections onroad, mainly through small Cotswold towns. The hills are not to be underestimated, but the views will easy the pain!
 Wonrek 11 Jun 2014
In reply to liz j:
No do not underestimate those hills! No gentle rollers there!!!

I dnf'd last years race at mile 86 (missed a cut off through getting lost) I'm back this year to kick some CWC butt!
 liz j 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

And kick ass you will if your races from this year are anything to go by!!!
 Wonrek 12 Jun 2014
In reply to liz j:

Hoping to! If I hadn't got list during the night and added in an extra 6mike loop I would've finished CWC. I *might* check a map this time lol!!!
 liz j 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

I'm running the section between Seven Springs and Cranham in the Cotswold Way Relay at the end of the month, and that is in daylight and I think I might get lost in the woods!! Wish I was entered for the Ultra this year but have decided to save it for next year and get some practice in first!!
 Wonrek 12 Jun 2014
In reply to liz j:

Big can Liz.....c'mon and do it now, next years too far away
 liz j 13 Jun 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

I haven't done a 40 miler to qualify!! Otherwise I would have entered this year. Am going to do the Might Contain Nuts Brecon 40 in Dec. Hell, I haven't even run a marathon yet, but I'm going to skip that distance I think!
 mattrm 13 Jun 2014
In reply to liz j:

The Might Contain Nuts races are really good. I can strongly recommend them. I never did a marathon either, went straight up to ultras. They're quite different, so I don't think doing a marathon helps that much. You walk lots more in ultras.
 liz j 13 Jun 2014
In reply to mattrm:

I have run quite a few half marathons and that is a far enough distance to pound the legs, a road marathon would bore me and kill my legs! I love trail running though, and I think that going straight to a 40 miler will be fine. I'm used to really long days out in the hills anyway, so pretty sure I can adapt to running for part of the distance. One of my friends describes ultras as a run/walk picnic!
 Wonrek 16 Jun 2014
In reply to liz j: I shall be in Brecon too, see you there

liz j 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Wonrek:

Excellent!! Will need your words of wisdom to stop me blowing out in the first 20 miles!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...