UKC

Belgium Guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Giles Davis 04 Jun 2014
Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as guide books / topos for climbing in Belgium?

I'm off there for a long weekend at the end of the month and was going to head to the Freyr / Dave area.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Cheers
Giles
 HosteDenis 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Giles Davis:

The new topo of Freyr (brandnew - for sale since mid january) costs about 25 euro and can be bought across the street from the parking spot at freyr, at the frituur (bar for eating chips).

Freyr is the biggest (and I think) most beautiful crag in Belgium.

Dave's nice as well, but not as nice/big and you won't find the topo that easily.

On good weekends (weather wise) Freyr can be crowded so Dave could be a good backup plan
OP Giles Davis 06 Jun 2014
In reply to HosteDenis:

Cheers,

When you say crowded, do you mean queing for routes or just a lot of people there?
 HosteDenis 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Giles Davis:

I mean there'll be a lot of people there, and especially the sector 'Pape' will see the most crowds. In general, there'll never be a queue for a route in Freyr unless the really popular ones on the really busy days. Usually, there's no queue as people rather move on to other routes than queue. But the popular routes might be occupied, yes.

Should it be hot, check out the sector 'Louis Philippe'. It sees the most shade.

robert mirfin 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Giles Davis:
You can get at topo at the bar on top of Freyr, it's a good lot of crags al legne is probably the best in my opinion though it's mainly 7a to 8b grade range and can get pretty warm at this time of year.
 jon 09 Jun 2014
In reply to robert mirfin:

Didn't it burn down recently? Bar le Chamonix...
 HosteDenis 10 Jun 2014
In reply to jon:

Yes, the bar has unfortunatly burnt down, in may 2013. That's why I mentioned the frituur in my post, it is located next to the still standing ruins of the bar Le Chamonix, and you can now get the topo there.
 robert mirfin 10 Jun 2014
In reply to jon:
Oh no! That's bad news

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...