UKC

Examples Sought Of Succesful UK Biodiversity Action Plans BAP's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 05 Jun 2014

Hi all,

For the course work I'm doing, I need to give an overview of a UK BAP-Biodiversity Action Plan, and I thought it'd be nice to do a successful one.

Has anybody come across any examples of ones which have worked, either halted a decline or led to an increase in numbers*?

Thanks,
Tim

*I am looking elsewhere as well
Post edited at 11:50
 goosebump 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Timmd:

Hello Timmd
Might be worth looking at the Biodiversity Action Reporting System website. I be surprised if there is good data to be certain where/how the BAP actions have been undertaken, or if so, have been the determining factor in species increase/decrease. So many other things in play since the UKBAP first written, not least ever changing agri-environmental schemes and governments.
That said, species are more easily measured, and otter have been going great guns so might be worth having a look at. To inform your view, it is also perhaps worth reading the RSPB State of Nature report, if you haven't already.
OP Timmd 05 Jun 2014
In reply to goosebump:
Thanks for that, it makes sense that it's difficult to definitively say if an action plan has been successful.
Post edited at 12:22
 Doug 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Timmd:

I've been involved in some attempts to judge the success of protected areas - very difficult to be sure that the increase in population numbers wouldn't have happened anyway or was due to some other reason. Although European rather than UK, 'Wildlife comeback in Europe' (http://www.seo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Wildlife-Comeback-Study-PDF.p... ) might give some ideas - many of the species also occur in the UK
OP Timmd 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Doug:
Thanks, it's not vital that I find one that's been successful, it just seemed like a nice thing if I could do.
Post edited at 13:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...