UKC

iPad - Anyone bought one from Amazon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gibson 05 Jun 2014
Looking to buy a new Air for the mrs and see that I can get a 128GB with 4G from Amazon for the same price as a 64GB without 4G from Tesco who were the cheapest UK company.
I take it these are US imports or something? The sellers are all UK based so I tried a few Googles and asked the seller who only responded 'comes with UK adaptor'.
Unsure what to do...!
 wbo 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Gibson:
Check where it comes from to avoid import duty and check the warranty - without a uk adresser to return it to I'd guess you'll be stuffed if there's a problem
 andy 06 Jun 2014
In reply to wbo:

> Check where it comes from to avoid import duty and check the warranty - without a uk adresser to return it to I'd guess you'll be stuffed if there's a problem

You'd neither be stuffed not get import duty if it comes from the EU (damn them and their open market), as warranties have to be honoured across the EU. But if it's Amazon selling it (as opposed to Amazon Marketplace) then your contact's with Amazon, isn't it? So can't see the issue.
Removed User 06 Jun 2014
In reply to andy:

Depends on if the seller is Amazon or someone using Amazon Marketplace. If it's the marketplace the sender can be outside the UK even if you're buying it on amazon.co.uk. It says in the list of sellers where they are from though, so it's not an issue.

For the OP: I've bought from amazon and ebay, not had problems with either.
 wbo 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Gibson:

My fear would be that for a repair you'd need to return it to where it was purchased, and that Apple UK wouldn't go near it. The warranty is still honoured, but the warranty is with the vendor (who is effectively a local agent and not the parent company). I have had this happen to me on several occasions, but would confess I don't know how Apple handle this.
But Ipads are pretty reliable, so I would be ok buying one from the US, knowing full well that if a problem arose it would need to go back there.
 Oujmik 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Gibson:

It does look to be a US import. I don't think you'd have a problem getting support from Apple in the UK or from Amazon in the event of something going wrong. There are a lot of dodgy sellers on Amazon (in my experience) but Amazon always seem to be willing to pick up the pieces to keep your custom.

So in summary, probably worth a punt.
OP Gibson 06 Jun 2014
Cheers all, will probably go for it.
 dek 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Gibson:
Are they expensive?
Moneysaving expert website claims they can be had for £329 ish. I've no idea of the spec though? ( Not had time yo read it yet)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...