UKC

Climbing in the 'stans, driving from UK to China

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Metalbear 06 Jun 2014
I’m currently looking at options for an expedition to China in 2016, travelling there and back by car/van. Unfortunately certain political situations are currently making getting between Turkey and the ‘Stans a little tricky. Has anyone travelled in this area recently and could offer any beta?
I’m reluctant to go via Poland/Belarus/Russia as it would be a shame to miss the Caucasus – but as Iran don’t seem to be granting visas to travel through, the Armenia/Azerjaijan border is closed, and the Georgia/Russia border is closed, it’s either go north (avoiding Ukraine!) or take the questionable ferry from Baku to Turkmenistan. Any info on passage to, and climbing in the ‘Stans – not-to-be-missed areas, guidebooks etc. would be appreciated
 Damo 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Metalbear:

I was in Kyrgyzstan in 2012, climbing Peak Lenin. In Almaty, Kazakhstan I met a Swiss couple who drove a Land Rover Defender from home and said they had no problems. I think you'd be fine up to the Chinese border, but I think as a foreigner, driving your own vehicle in China is, or was(?), nearly impossible.
 mlt 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Damo:

I *think* I recall meeting some people in Almaty (last year) who said it was possible to drive in China, but it was necessary to be accompanied by a registered tour guide... I could totally be making that up!

I've heard the Baku/Turkmenbashi ferry can be a pain having to wait for a few days and then also needing to get through the country on a tight time frame (5-7 days I think?). If you haven't already, try speaking with some of the Mongol Rally crowd as it's a common route to go.

Uzbekistan might be a pain in the ass for registration and they're pretty tight with monitoring where you stay (at least in my experience) - Uzbekistan seemed more troublesome that way than Tajikistan or Kazakhstan.

Maybe it's changed since last year but if you want to cross the Tajik/Uzbek border the Penjikent crossing might still be closed, meaning the Tursunzoda crossing towards Dushanbe is your main option (head for the Pamirs!). The Shirkent National Park is worth checking out and it's kind of off the radar too.

Whatever you do I'm sure you'll have fun!
 Cheese Monkey 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Damo:

I think I met them in Nepal on the same year! Young one with them? They were so chilled, off to India to ship the landy off somewhere when I last saw them.
abseil 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Metalbear:

One thing to remember, make sure you have a Chinese driving license, you can't drive there on a UK license (or an International Permit or whatever they're called). Have a great trip!
OP Metalbear 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Metalbear:

Thanks so much for all the info climber folks! Much appreciated We are going back and forth on whether a land rover or converted sprinter would be better, but if the former is good enough for the Swiss... crossing into China is looking challenging, as is getting through Turkmenistan but hey, all part of the adventure, right?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...