UKC

NEWS: FRIDAY NIGHT VID: Fairhead Meet 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 06 Jun 2014
Fairhead, 3 kbThis week's Friday Night Video showcases the recent Fairhead Climbing Meet organised by Paul Swail and Mountaineering Ireland.

Fairhead, in County Antrim, Northern Ireland is one of the largest crags in the UK and every year a climbing meet is organised to celebrate the world class climbing it has to offer...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68965
 efrance24234 06 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

1 min 55sec...
Surprised the safety police haven't pulled that up!
 Dave 88 06 Jun 2014
In reply to efrance24234:

What's the problem?

Great vid by the way, makes me really want to go.
 Misha 07 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Couldn't they have used some Irish music, that soundtrack is awful and the presenter guy at the start is irritating. Take him and the soundtrack out and this would be a nice snapshot clip.
 Misha 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Dave 88:

Sling larksfooted round the harness belay loop at 1.57, not the best idea I suppose.
yankiepunter 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Misha:

> Sling larksfooted round the harness belay loop at 1.57, not the best idea I suppose.

based on what?
 Andy Moles 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Misha:

Sling larksfooted around the belay loop is fine. To the point that the Mountain Training board recommend it as part of an abseil setup.
 Andy Moles 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Misha:

> Couldn't they have used some Irish music

In the same way that clips from England should feature English music...?

Tom Last 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Misha:

> Couldn't they have used some Irish music,

Val Doonican?
 Misha 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Andy Moles:
Interesting, I wouldn't do it as don't like the idea of dyneema on a harness loop under pressure and with a bit of wiggling around. Material on material just doesn't feel like a good idea in the long run.

As an international meet to Ireland it would make sense to use Irish music but anything decent would do really. Personal preference of course but I thought the soundtrack detracted from the video.
 Bulls Crack 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Misha:

Unwatchable with the sound on. Love to go though
 Andy Moles 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Misha:

> Interesting, I wouldn't do it as don't like the idea of dyneema on a harness loop under pressure and with a bit of wiggling around. Material on material just doesn't feel like a good idea in the long run.

Thing is if you somehow manage to put enough force through it to actually damage the sling, you've probably got a broken back anyway...all the same, I would always use nylon. Anyway...bit off topic.

FreshSlate 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Misha:

I enjoyed the music and the video. A lighthearted vibe, really want to go now.
 Pete O'Donovan 07 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Great vid guys.

Fairhead looks absolutely f...ing amazing!

Also liked the music...Who is that?

Pete.
 ChrisJD 08 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Great video and great music for the content.

Cheers for posting - has made working on a Sunday morning a bit more bearable.

Cheers

craigy123 08 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Personally I think the music is perfect, it was mentioned that it reflects the light heartedness of the meet. Playing Irish music would be rather stereotypical would it not? Besides as I'm aware the meet pulls people from many different places and cultures. I think the clip was well made, fun and the sound track suited. I'm Kent Brockman and this is My Two Cents

Thanks for another great meet this year, only wish I'd longer to enjoy it.
davehinton 08 Jun 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Super video. Fairhead is a wonderful place to climb, challenging, atmospheric with high quality climbing with tremendous sustained pitches, which swallow gear. Can't comment on the bouldering but having seen the boulders, I expect they will be tough and often difficult to mat out. Ballycastle also offers hospitable evening entertainment.

It's a shame that that whilst climbing there on a trip the weekend before this years meet, there was only one other team on the crag!

Mind you, I suppose somebody has to stay at home and discuss the rights and wrongs of replacing abseil gear.
 FreshSlate 08 Jun 2014
In reply to davehinton:

> Super video. Fairhead is a wonderful place to climb, challenging, atmospheric with high quality climbing with tremendous sustained pitches, which swallow gear. Can't comment on the bouldering but having seen the boulders, I expect they will be tough and often difficult to mat out. Ballycastle also offers hospitable evening entertainment.

> It's a shame that that whilst climbing there on a trip the weekend before this years meet, there was only one other team on the crag!

> Mind you, I suppose somebody has to stay at home and discuss the rights and wrongs of replacing abseil gear.

Or they are climbing elsewhere?

Might be heading up in a few weeks time, got any beta? Any time I should avoid etc?

deepdiver 09 Jun 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Or they are climbing elsewhere?

> Might be heading up in a few weeks time, got any beta? Any time I should avoid etc?

* routes are very good,
** routes would be *** elsewhere,
*** routes will make you saying: "best route I have done ever" over and over again.

Buy new guidebook - is worth every penny and you will come back over there for sure anyway.
Don't be worry about showers - cliffs are steep enough to remain dry unless heavy rain will come.
Take your full rack. And your mate's full rack too.
Don't forget to bring a finger tape.
Have a craic!
 deepdiver 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Misha:

> and the presenter guy at the start is irritating.

Which one? The guy gesturing from behind, or the guy who talks? Your lack of perception is irritating.

M0nkey 09 Jun 2014

> It's a shame that that whilst climbing there on a trip the weekend before this years meet, there was only one other team on the crag!

Why's that a shame! Thats one of my favourite things about it!
 Misha 09 Jun 2014
In reply to deepdiver:

Whatever, both of them!

Great to hear the new guide book is out - available here, just ordered a copy even if won't get to go out there this year. Hefty postage charge but when I was looking to buy a few Irish guide books last year it was actually cheaper to get them direct from Mountaineering Ireland with the postage than through any UK retailer. Not yet available in shops anyway by the looks of things.

Took a while to figure out what the cover image was - may be I'm pretty dumb after all...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...