UKC

Rope prices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john morrissey 06 Jun 2014

My goodness. what is happening to rope prices. Just seen that one of the new Petzl ropes is £260 for a 70m rope. and that is with a discount. Is there something VERY special about these ropes?
http://www.climbers-shop.com/909/single_ropes.aspx
Post edited at 20:25
 muppetfilter 06 Jun 2014
In reply to john morrissey:

They are designed for rich gullible people who forget how prices got hiked up when the exchange rate fell yet stayed high when it dropped (they also use oil prices as an excuse for humping the climbing public too)
 Enty 06 Jun 2014

With 260 quid you could fly to the south of France with Ryanair, buy an 80m Beal from Mike in Sisteron, climb at Ceuse and still have enough money left for a weekend's worth of beer and pizza.

E
In reply to Enty:

You wouldn't bat an eyelid spending that on a bike wheel!
 Enty 06 Jun 2014
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Last time I bought wheels I had to decide between wheels or 3 weeks in Yosemite

E
 FreshSlate 07 Jun 2014

They are taking the piss.
 Giles Davis 07 Jun 2014

Go Outdoors have plenty of cheap ropes. Edelrid 80m for around £130 I think.
 gdnknf 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

> With 260 quid you could fly to the south of France with Ryanair, buy an 80m Beal from Mike in Sisteron, climb at Ceuse and still have enough money left for a weekend's worth of beer and pizza.

> E

This is EXACTLY the way to think about it. When I worked in an outdoor shop we used to equate the cost of jackets (probably the item most tourists in Keswick are likely to spend far too much on) to how far you could go around the world.

As much as selling a £500 jacket to someone who just plods around the lakes one week a year makes money for the store, it just feels wrong. Explaining that the cost of that jacked is similar to the cost of having a week in Italy walking in the Dolomites puts it into perspective.
 mrdigitaljedi 09 Jun 2014

just go to hitch n hike they got a 50m ederlid python for £95

http://www.hitchnhike.co.uk/acatalog/edelrid-python-10mm-climbing-rope.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...