UKC

When was your last 'off'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 06 Jun 2014

Mine was last night.

Cycling at full pelt ,with the wind in my sails.

Crested a billy groat Gruff bridge .seen a car approaching.dabbed the brakes as the road was wet.

Too late. Back end locked up .bike disappeared under me .(clips came off easily) .

And me ?

Well I disappeared into the undergrowth and careered forward uncontrollably ,like a 747 making an emergency landing in the jungle.

The sad bit is that the car never even stopped.they either thought it was a normal cycling manoeuvre ,or...., they were pissing themselves silly with laughter.

The woman I had passed not long before ,did stop .she hadn't seen my 'off' ,but she did catch me emerging from the bracken.

What followed was a conversation ,wiyh me trying to regain my composure ; a la Del Trotter after falling through the bar.

I was lucky.

You?
Post edited at 22:01
 Pids 06 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:
Depends which category of biking you talking about

Road - not yet, but only started last year
Commuting - Feb, when pedestrian stepped out in front of me, or May when a car turned left on me (didn't come off but hit the kerb, we had words at next set of traffic lights)
MTB - fell off a skinny in March, fracture in right hand

Worst for me was when I took mates kid on MTB Route, he came off and broke his nose and major road rash on face, had to take him back to parents, not good (kid is 9), oh well, hopefully he has learned to use his brakes since then - my 7 year old had been down it first so was well within his cabilities, still feel bad about that one though
andymac 06 Jun 2014
In reply to Pids:

Road.
 kevin stephens 06 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Last week, worn cleats, weaving through traffic queue at lights and stopped in a gap, couldn't unclip and toppled over. Doomed attempt at nonchalance whilst picking myself up and dusting myself down
 Enty 06 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Off camber bend in Mallorca in March - pool of diesel, luckily I was only going about 8kmh.

E
 LastBoyScout 06 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:
Mountain bike - passed 2 chaps on a route in Swinley forest and promptly stacked 2 bends later! Bruised ego and gravel rash on knee/shin - elbows ok due to pads.

Bought knee/shin pads soon after.

Road - not an off, as such, but was after reading a thread on here about the merits of clipless pedals, I was cycling home musing that I couldn't remember not using clipless pedals and how easy they are to use. Missed clipping in at the next set of lights - didn't come off, but not half cracked myself in the shin with the missed pedal. Not much blood, but an egg of a bruise.
Post edited at 22:23
 VS4b 06 Jun 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

April - parked car opened door on me without looking. Hit it hard in my shoulder, then bounced down road on my back and head. Lots of very colourful bruises and sore back. Took a week to get riding again.
In reply to andymac:

I came off last Saturday. My friend rode up next to me to chat and didn't give me enough room when the edge of the tarmac suddenly wiggled.

Nothing too bad, nasty graze on the elbow, a bruised hip and hand, and a bit of whiplash. I thought I'd broken my collarbone for a sec when I went down because I felt a really sharp pain through it when I hit. Luckily not.

It was just at the start of the ride so we continued 50 more miles but I told him I didn't want to talk while riding!
 stewyclimb 06 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Around a year ago I was hit on a busy round-a-bout by a people carrier. He pulled out when I was coming off and clipped my back tire, luckily I ended up on the pavement. He bundled me in the back with his 3 kids and drove me home (after asking if I wanted to go the hospital) he then checked up on me a few days later whilst dropping off a chunk of money to fix the bike.

Took me a good few months to ride again, been back to the round-a-bout once since.
andymac 06 Jun 2014
In reply to all.

Having a little incident has been a bit of a wake up call.

Now got new respect for greasy roads.

And the fact that when we have a shunt we truly are like crash test dummies.

Was a bit tentative tonight on the downhills,even though it was dry.

Removed User 06 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Last August. MTBing in the Borders, going very fast, front wheel slipped into a rut, jammed solid and flung me off. I landed very 'abruptly.' Outcome: developed a frozen shoulder which was operated on last week. Irony was that I had pretty much stopped proper MTBing and had only used the bike for remote hill access for a couple of years so was getting ready to sell it to make space and fund a roadie. Then someone rang and said, *Bunch of us going out this afternoon, fancy it?'

30 years of full-tilt MTBing and it was only my second high speed wipeout and the first where I was injured as opposed to bruised.
Sold it shortly after, (though I just bought a Salsa Fargo...)
 Swirly 06 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Visiting mates in the Lakes a week or so ago, hadn't ridden in a while so borrowed a bike. Managed to pull my foot out the pedal on some back road climb having pretty much come to a standstill and did the comedy fall. I must have banged my leg on the pedal somehow as when showering after I found a bit of a gash in the back of my calf. By found I mean stuck two fingers in up to the first knuckle.

Serves me right for having weak legs.
 Bob 06 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Riding home from work along the canal a couple of weeks ago. It was a windy day and someone hadn't properly shut one of the access gates. As I approached it swung open right in to my path, I was only about 2 metres away when this happened, I rode straight in to the end of the gate. My bike impaled itself on the gate whilst I went for an early bath in the canal.

I didn't realise I was bleeding until I rang my wife and saw the blood dripping on to the phone. In the end it wasn't too bad, more bruising than anything else, though the canal water doesn't taste so good! The front wheel of the bike was a write-off and the handlebars needed replacing.

I'd just passed a woman walking along the canal bank who totally ignored me and didn't even ask how I was.

The slight irony is that I'd been joking with my workmates about getting home dry before the rain started - I couldn't have been wetter if I'd tried!

I checked my GPS afterwards, I was doing 12MPH at the time of the impact so hardly speeding.
 nniff 06 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Two of our club riders had a spill on a slippery road last Sunday: one was walking wounded, but the other's injuries include ruptured spleen, multiple broken ribs, 4 cracked vertebrae, broken collar bone, 20 stitches to his chin, blood clot on his lungs. He's on blood thinning medication for the clot on his lung, which needs to be balanced with making sure that he doesn't bleed through his spleen.

Ow.

IMA 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Last proper off in January coming down Horseshoe into Llangollen. Bike started to slip on the bend, error, and it just went from under. I went across the road glad no car was coming

However on Tuesday I had a racing incident which 3 others managed to get mashed and I kept a track stand. 1 smashed helmet, 1 bike a write off, lots of road rash and I walk away with 2 bent spokes and some chipped paint
 felt 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

A few months ago at the T junction at the end of our road. It was very early on a Sunday morning and no one was around. I hadn't any clear plans as to whether I was going to turn right or left at the junction as I'd not fully woken up, and both options have their good and bad points. I came to a standstill, still undecided, and fell over before I could unclip. A solitary van driving past on the other side witnessed this; must have looked hilarious.
 AndyC 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Not counting winter ice, it was 9/9 last year...

youtube.com/watch?v=PPTwWDwsvsA&

(contains some bad language!)
 Timmd 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Swirly:
By found I mean stuck two fingers in up to the first knuckle.

> Serves me right for having weak legs.

Blimey, did you go for stitches?

My last off was last October and quite minor, tired and in a hurry I was turning left into a side road when it was wet, I went round it too quickly and used my front brake to stop myself going over the line and into the path of a car, my bike slid away sideways and I went splat and cut my hand. I was only doing 12 miles or so an hour and my hand was fine. Don't hurry in the wet if you're tired.
Post edited at 07:39
 Choss 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Front wheel in Drain slot somehow?

Sudden stop, Back end goes vertical, i fly over the top.

Stunned onlookers, hurt Pride, and a folded Front wheel.

No Limping away From that with a Look that says 'i Meant to do that'
 ThunderCat 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Salford Quays, just by Harbour City tram stop.

Have to cross a pedestrian bit, then cross a road to get into the carpark

Slowed right down. Checked for traffic. Bumped down off pavement onto road, crossed road. Went to bump up onto the kerb on the other side....

Misjudged it somehow? Wheel came back down, then I hit the kerb. Then I'm on my ar*se in front of a sudden line of stationary traffic and a tram full of people.

All asking if I'm ok, when all I want to do is pick up the bike and run away.

Must have been hilarious to witness.

Elbow still hurts three weeks later.
aligibb 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Last weekend... fell over while standing still waiting at a traffic light right into the path of the oncoming cars. I'm trying to retrain myself to unclip my R foot not L following a knee injury and am getting better. BUT I keep forgetting that once I'm safely stopped and stood on my R foot not to the stand on my L as I end up splatted mid conversation on the road.
Hurt pride, scabby knees and a growing bruised hip/bum.
 ThunderCat 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

> Front wheel in Drain slot somehow?

> Sudden stop, Back end goes vertical, i fly over the top.

> Stunned onlookers, hurt Pride, and a folded Front wheel.

> No Limping away From that with a Look that says 'i Meant to do that'

FFS there are loads of these in Chorlton - drain slots that run parallel to the ***ing curb. What a delightful, amazing invention those are.

Loads of them on the way to work.
In reply to Choss:

I went over the handlebars twice in one ride at Penmachno on my MTB on Tuesday.
Its only my 4rd or 5th MTB ride. Not sure I'm cut out for it :-/
 nniff 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

My last off was up at Wolf Tracks at Laggan on a hired bike. Very pleased with myself for negotiating a steep rocky section cleanly, I eased to a halt next to my mate on a slightly downhill bit of path. There was a small stone - a pebble really - my front wheel hit it, stopped dead and I went slowly over the handlebars at about 1 mile an hour. Sparrow of this parish found it immensely amusing. Can't think why. Perhaps it had something to do with my pleased-ness about getting down the rocky bit.

The one before that - there was a small jump. I landed off balance and was heading for a big beech tree. I decided that the bike could look after itself and baled out off the back. The outside of my right foot caught on the ground, twisted underneath me and dislocated. When I sat up and went to hold the hurty bit, instead of finding a foot, I found the bottom of my leg. Fortunately, it all went clickety-click back into place, but I had a plaster for weeks and it still doesn't bend properly.

The one before that, over the handlebars into a stream. Smashed helmet and broken collar bone - plated back together.

No wonder I took up road biking
 Escher 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac: March, chopped by someone unable to hold their line in a crit race. Was doing 25mph+ and hit the ground really hard. Dislocated shoulder, fractured shoulder socket, very bruised hip. Channeled my fury into the turbo and came back fitter than before.

In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Raise your handlebars or fit a seatbelt

G, you need to come out for some skills training mate!
In reply to stevemarkperry:

You recon its cos i slammed my stem since my crash at coed y brenin? Seatbelt may be a good idea. Ill grab some webbing from work.
andymac 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Some gruesome tales chaps.

We are rather vulnerable creatures when out of our natural habitat.

Was watching some of Cavendish's crashes.Proper crashes

Respect.
 Mikkel 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

going to fast down a path on the mountainbike, rear wheel hit a log and when i tried to follow the path round the corner bike continued sliding along the log sending me over the bar.
Landed on my shoulder continued to roll over my head onto my back.
I got up 5m from the bike.

Turned out i had torn my stomach muscle and bike frame cracked.
 Swirly 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Timmd:
I considered it but strangely it didn't bleed that much so I filled it with antiseptic and stuck a dressing on it. I think there will be a nice scar when it finally heals. TBH the whole thing made me realise how out of shape I am and got me back on the bike.

Mountain biking I had a good one on Snowdon riding down the train track in some snow, went over the bars and head first onto rack in the middle of the track. Split my helmet doing that. I don't mountain bike any more!
Post edited at 19:30
 Ciderslider 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

It might be that they weren't even aware that you were there - it's not all about you
Also sounds like it was totally down to you, and that by publicising it you are being a total boy
Hope you didn't cause too much damage to your shiny road bike (or yourself)
 Timmd 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Swirly:
> I considered it but strangely it didn't bleed that much so I filled it with antiseptic and stuck a dressing on it. I think there will be a nice scar when it finally heals. TBH the whole thing made me realise how out of shape I am and got me back on the bike.

Fair enough. Can remember gashing my leg with my bike pedal to a similar depth or a bit more when I was 12, and needing seven stiches is why I asked. 22 years later the scar is as wide as my finger and as long as the width of my hand in a smiley mouth shape below my knee. I think I had visions of a festering wound on the back of your leg.

> Mountain biking I had a good one on Snowdon riding down the train track in some snow, went over the bars and head first onto rack in the middle of the track. Split my helmet doing that. I don't mountain bike any more!

Nah, you just need snow tyres and to not ride near metal rails. Wilful denial about one's mortality is the way forward. ()

Glad I don't fall off my bike with the same regularity though, touch wood!
Post edited at 16:10
Rigid Raider 08 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:
The evening before we moved into a house that we planned to gut, I was riding down a shallow flight of steps with a corner in the middle. Pikeys had nicked the handrail so all that was left were the iron stanchions. My hip smacked into the stanchion on the corner and I bounced off and cannoned into the opposite stanchion further down, just missing breaking my collar bone. I was severely bruised and had to start the following day pulling down partitions and ceilings one-handed.

Haven't had a bad fall since taking up road cycling 4 years ago... yet.... although I fell off the crosser twice in three minutes on black ice last winter.
Post edited at 18:19
 climbingpixie 08 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Mime was last year. I was riding up Shibden Wall, one of the local cobbled horrors. I was almost at the top when I got really bad cramp in one of my legs but was going so slowly that I didn't have time to unclip before losing all my momentum and toppling over sideways attached to the bike. Not my finest moment on a bike!!
 Liam M 08 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac: not quite an off, but unexpected consequences of trying to prevent an off. I was practicing dismounts and remounts on the crosser.

On one dismount asI tried to swing my leg over the back it got part way and then appeared to get stuck, clear of the ground. With all the weight on the other foot it couldn't be lifted from the pedal and the bike was beginning to topple. I more frantically tried to drive the stuck leg toward the floor and it freed itself, allowing me to remain upright.

I then discovered why it had become stuck; the leg of the shorts had got hooked up on the saddle as my leg came over, and in more forcefully trying to get my foot down it had torn a hole in most of the inside seam of them barely short of being indecent ! I sheepishly and slowly remounted the bike and headed straight for home before it got any worse.
 kathrync 09 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

About 3 years ago, cycling in to work. I honestly have no idea what happened. The road was straight and dry, no cars around. I went to stop at a traffic light and next thing I knew I was skidding along the road on my hands and knees. I guess I locked a brake.

Ended up continuing in to work because it was closer than home and sitting through a meeting with company executives while trying to stem the bleeding from my elbow

Richard Carter 09 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Mine was at the end of April while doing the a Duathlon. From another thread:

"On the 3rd lap just as I was cornering I got really really bad cramp in my leg. It felt like I'd been shot in the leg and it spasmed like crazy. Anyway I fell off as you can imagine. I swore a bit and lay there for a while rubbing my leg. Tried to get back up and it was still very painful and I fell over again :-P Had about 10 minutes of lying by the side of the road and it started to feel better. I managed to complete the other laps (albeit very slowly) and get into T2. The 40km bike leg took an embarrassing 1 hour 28. T2 took me nearly 2 minutes as I realised I could hardly use my leg at all. For the final 5km I walked most of it which resulted in me over 31 minutes :-/"

After I'd fallen down, I couldn't unclip from the pedal so had to drag myself over to the kerb to get out of the way. There were a couple of workmen that came over asked if I was ok and I was like "DON'T TOUCH ME*!". I must have looked like an utter plonker :-P

I've been hit by cars, a HGV, another cyclists dropped water bottle, etc, so I'm pretty unlucky in general when it comes to falling off. On the other hand I've only ever had mild injuries so maybe I'm super lucky!

*for fear of being disqualified.
 LastBoyScout 10 Jun 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Scratch that - stacked the road bike at lunchtime on way back from the shops.

Not paying attention and went the wrong side of the barrier post and straight over the barrier. Seem to have got away with a very bruised thigh and a couple of minor grazes - cycling home ain't going to be comfortable, though!

In fairness, whoever painted the barrier to blend in with the background needs a pasting, but it's hardly the first time I've been down that road.

I'll be on the Arnica tonight...
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Possibly on steep descents but it shouldn't make that much difference. Get your weight more over the rear end when descending.
 lynda 12 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Almost yesterday: too busy concentrating on the traffic coming from the right at a roundabout, and not paying attention to how slow I was moving, but saved it in the end.

The last time (my first ever) at a set of traffic lights. Took my right leg out but leaned to the left and keeled over. I could see the drivers on the other side of the road laughing at me. The drivers behind me were kind enough to wait until I pulled my carcass off the road.
Removed User 12 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

This morning. Car turning left (equivalent to right for you lot) came straight across me. I hit him on his passenger door, broke his window and mirror. Unfortunately I broke 2 ribs and a bike
andymac 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Sounds like you we're lucky.
Removed User 13 Jun 2014
In reply to andymac:

Yes. The bike isn't too bad just out of alignment and, apart from the ribs, I only have a couple of scratches.
 TobyA 13 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Not me, but watched my CX bike do a 360 through the air on Monday with my Aussie mate still clipped in and doing the other side of that circle under it. He had unfortunately ridden it into a ditch full of nettles. He was so keen to get out for a ride after arriving that morning, and it was great weather. But the moral of the story is maybe don't think your reactions are at their sharpest after 30 hrs of intercontinental travel with a young baby. The outcome? Bruising and ligament damage around the collarbone, but fortunately an x-ray showed no fracture and then, one new front wheel!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...