UKC

Time Trialling, why?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 06 Jun 2014
From other posts I understand there's a few testers on here.

A few years ago I used to do evening 10s with my local club and persevered enough to get down from 30 minutes to 26 something. Nowadays the choice of a sunny evening loop around local hills or 10 miles of dual carriageway with the sound of disk wheels creeping up on me followed by a patronising "dig in" is a no-brainer.

Strava on local hills and flatter loops now gives me the same training motivation as TTs used to, being able to plot my progress against my previous efforts and know my place in the pecking order - but with much more pleasant riding and views and less traffic.

For those who still do TTS regularly am I missing something. My steel framed Hewitt TT bike has sat on my turbo last few winters; I'll probably sell it to help pay for some new wheels for my road bike
 Enty 07 Jun 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

I disagree. Round here we have time trials where everyone starts at the same time.
Not only that you can draft too. It's miles more fun.
You can talk and laugh with your opponents and even argue with them.
If you're feeling strong you can up the pace and spoil your opponent's rhythm. In fact you can often use your brain to beat riders who are physically stronger and fitter than you. It can be really exciting sometimes.

E
In reply to Enty:

Sounds like a totally different sport to the UK evening 10 scene; I can't quite imagine a massed start on the Rainford by pass at 7:00 on Wednesday evenings
 Rog Wilko 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty:

Just how does that differ from a road race?
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think he was making a funny. Although not without a point, the French amateur (and indeed professional) road racing scene is miles ahead of the UK mostly helped by the police not seeing as something they want to discourage at all costs.
 Enty 07 Jun 2014
In reply to a concerned citizen:

> I think he was making a funny.

Phew!

E

Henry Iddon 07 Jun 2014

Strava = cyclesport for fun.

RR / TT = genuine competitive racing.

It's the same difference as bouldering for fun or doing a competitive league under rules and regulations.
 Tall Clare 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Henry Iddon:

Where does the sportive come in? My brother used to race and as a consequence seems pretty dismissive of sportives.
In reply to Enty:

Doh! a bit slow this morning but a good point and well made
In reply to Henry Iddon:

> RR / TT = genuine competitive racing.

I can see that for RR with all the competitive stuff that Enty alludes to, and I guess this is also partly true for a small minority of TT participants who's aim is to attain a position in the overall field. But in my (admittedly limited) experience of club TTs the only aim is to get a particular time, hence the popularity of still nights or courses (Like Levens)where the finish is at a lower altitude that the start
 Rog Wilko 07 Jun 2014
In reply to a concerned citizen:

Doh!! What a dumbo!
Clauso 07 Jun 2014

On a similar note; why do goats have slits for pupils?
 Enty 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Where does the sportive come in? My brother used to race and as a consequence seems pretty dismissive of sportives.

I race and do sportives too - they're ace fun.

E
 andy 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Enty: One or two of the lads in our club have started doing a few closed circuit races and have got a bit sniffy about sportives - but they're racing for half an hour and doing about 12 miles.
 Enty 07 Jun 2014
In reply to andy:

Send em over here to ride The Corima Sportive next March. If they can do 41kmh for 105km over 3 climbs they might just get in the top 20.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...