UKC

Bernard Jordan - Bless him.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 07 Jun 2014
Bernard Jordan, a 90 year old Normandy veteran, was told by his nursing home that he couldn't travel to the D-Day commemorations because they couldn't organise transport. Surely the could have contacted the Royal British Legion or the NVA for help. I think it was a bit mean spirited of them.

Anyway, with an indomitable spirit he took himself off to Normandy with his medals hidden under his coat. Good luck to him and bless him.
 Yanis Nayu 07 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

It would be a better story if it was true. The real story is good enough however. What a top bloke.
OP mypyrex 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

What was the true story then?
OP mypyrex 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

Fair enough. Still good to know that he made it. Great chap. Where would we be without them?
 Yanis Nayu 07 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I'm glad he made it too. My old next door neighbour but one was a veteran on the western desert. He was a retired engineer, and as such had a full armoury of tools which I regularly borrowed when we first moved in as I was renovating a classic car. I'd always hang round for a chat as his wife had died some years before and he was alone. He sometimes mentioned his war experience, but never in detail and clearly it was painful and he was reticent to discuss it. A couple of years ago I mentioned to my wife that I hadn't been to see him for a while and that I must go down and have a chat with him. About a week later our mutual neighbour told me that he'd had a car crash (he was still independent even though he was in his 90s) and was in a bad way. He died soon after, and I never got to have that chat with him. They were a generation of people whose sacrifices we cannot begin to imagine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...