UKC

Garmin FR 220 - anyone use one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 07 Jun 2014
Just wading through a mass of info on GPS watches, so after some personal observations.

I've decided the 620 is overkill as I wouldn't use the running dynamics stuff, although I do like the sound of wi-fi connectivity. It also has a touch screen, which I don't like the idea of with the typical UK weather.

The 220 seems to fit the bill for pretty much everything, and I like the idea of being able to download via Bluetooth to the ipad, (or possibly an android phone if the app works), rather than fire up the clunky old laptop. You can also replace the strap when it breaks, which seems sensible, and it's also supposedly waterproof. Would have liked the functionality to change the gps recording rate to get more than the claimed 10hrs battery life though.

Some internet threads seem to indicate there were some issues acquiring and keeping satellite lock, although the latest firmware update seems to have sorted this.

Anyone got any experience using one?
 DancingOnRock 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Ridge:

I bought one two or three weeks ago. Not really used it in anger yet. I have a half marathon tomorrow. I'll report back.

I would get the footpod if you're considering doing interval workouts and then turn off the GPS. The GPS is quite slow, I'm not sure if all GPS are slow though as I've been using the fr60 with footpod for a few years.

You can't charge it while it is logging. So if you're looking at longer than the 10hours (ultras etc) then you'll be better of with the Fernix 2.

Creating workouts on the garmin connect website and downloading to the watch was simple.
OP Ridge 08 Jun 2014
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Thanks for that, good luck with the half!
 Chris the Tall 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Ridge:

I've got one, it's pretty good, but could be better.

I can sync with my iPhone, but not with my iPad.

It seems to be a good idea to give it 5 minutes to get a Gps signal before starting your run, but it's more reliable and easier to use than recording on my phone

I have it set with an auto lap at 1km, at which point it buzzes and I check my time

Not used a HRM yet
OP Ridge 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Thanks Christ. 5 minutes seems very slow for a watch that supposedly caches the satellite data.
 Chris the Tall 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Ridge:

Normally takes less than minute, but I've had one run (out of about 30) where it went all haywire, so I err on the side of caution
 DJayB 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Ridge:

I have used one quite a lot. I think it is great.

I have had no issues with GPS signal. Normally finds satellite within 20 secs, as long as you turn it on where it was last cached or it will take a while longer. But i have never had it take 5 mins.

I don't really use the bluetooth stuff as I pretty much use Strava/Training Peaks so upload with cable. Not a real issue takes couple of mins at end of run. Not a big fan of garmin connect.

You don't need a footpod as it has an internal accelerometer.

There is a new FR15 if all you are after is GPS + HR which is cheaper.
OP Ridge 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Ridge:

Many thanks everyone, some good info there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...