UKC

International Space Station

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 07 Jun 2014
Saw it last night and tonight in perfect skies, still amazes me when I see it!

I use ISS Spotter from iTunes which is free and excellent.

Steve Perry 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni: we watched it a few months ago using the same app to get the time, it passed us around 6am, a great sight.

Shani 07 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

I recommend following Virtual Astro on Twitter. He tweets several times in the run up to each pass.
OP Denni 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Shani:

If you're on the south coast, Pompei Southampton way. It will be flying overhead from 23.01 today. Coming in from the west at 271 degrees , 74 degrees elevation and will be at its peak at 23.05.
 mike123 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:
thanks for the app recco,just watched it go over west cumbria , heading for kendal methinks. cool.
 Trevers 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

I think I saw it last night but not sure how to tell. Going rougly west to east at ~11pm, very bright. Would that be the one?
OP Denni 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Hi mate,
I don't have the app in front of me but that sounds about right. Been approaching from the west all week at 2300 ish and just before midnight and if it was quite a bright light moving steadily east, then that would have been it.
I know its nothing spectacular, but my daughter loves it :0)
 Trevers 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Thought it might have been, cheers

I always love watching satellites pass, almost as much as shooting stars
OP Denni 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Hi mate,
3 star showing tonight in the London area, cloud dependant.
Coming in from the west heading east at 273 degrees starting at 22.11 and peaks at 22.15
Elevation, 85 degrees above the horizon.
Enjoy!
 psaunders 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

This is a great website for satellite-spotting: http://heavens-above.com/

I enjoy going out to see iridium flares, which can be really spectacular. If you've never seen one then I would definitely recommend putting your location into heavens-above and finding a bright one. There are a few near me at magnitude -8.5 coming up this week.

For comparison, the ISS reaches about magnitude -3, so the iridium flares are about 100x brighter.
OP Denni 11 Jun 2014
In reply to psaunders:

Looks like a great site, cheers for the link :0)
 Postmanpat 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Great view in Wiltshire. It moves jolly fast
 KingStapo 11 Jun 2014
In reply to psaunders:

I am gonna be all over that shit!
 Trangia 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

When bivouacking as we were treking through the Fish River Canyon in Namibia I saw several satellites, which may have included the ISS, passing over every night. As someone said they move jolly fast. The unpolluted Namibian sky was an incredible sight and when the moon rose the sides of the canyon were bathed in a silvery light.

It was all almost magical.
 Tom Valentine 12 Jun 2014
In reply to psaunders:

just seen my first flare thanks to your advice. Much appreciated. It seemed a couple of minutes late, though!
 Graham H 13 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Some interesting links for ISS

http://www.isstracker.com/ shows you where it is now

and a live feed from it

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload

if it is on the night side you wont see anything. still at 17000mph its not long before it gets to the other side

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...