UKC

cig Lighter for outdoors folk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Choss 08 Jun 2014
Anyone Recommend anything thats gas, waterproof and will work in wind and rain?

I have a Silva Helios... yes its stormproof, and survives a dunking... but it holds next to no gas, burns through it very fast, and has a Tiny Flame with hardly any adjustment. Not impressed with it really.

Any Suggestions for Other outdoor lighters?
 Firestarter 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

I've tried quite a few of those turbo lighters, always end up going back to a zippo.
 d_b 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Cheapo gas lighters seem to work best. The ones with a flint and wheel rather than the piezoelectric type. Fire steel for backup.
 Gordonbp 08 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

+1 for the zippo - the squaddie's favourite.
 mrdigitaljedi 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

dont bother, use a zippo always works
 Mr Lopez 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Bic lighters (the masculine sized ones, not the tinies). Reliable, easy to dry the flint by running the wheel over the trousers (with the new ones with the child-proof tab you need to remove the tab), strong spark, and the only ones that work well at altitude if you ever end up skinning up on top of Mont Blanc.

For extreme smoking with wind and rain, light up inside the rucksack or with your head inside your top and fire-lighting hand going in through the waist hole.
 Martin W 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Choss:

Another +1 for the zippo, even though I gave up twenty years ago. (Not so ideal for lighting stoves - but then if your gas lighter can't get a flame, likely the stove can't either!)

One of my regular skiing pals reckoned he could always tell when I was lighting up on the Poma due to the cloud of petrol fumes that he would find himself being dragged through.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...