UKC

Carrix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pyreneenemec 09 Jun 2014
Anyone ever used one of these ? http://www.carrix.ch/harcarre.html

Are there any alternatives ?

Any D.I.Y options ?

I was thinking of buying one for long walk-ins and perhaps a few treks. My cervical problems mean I can only get away with carrying the lightest of sacks. They are expensive, around 390€ .
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Interesting - currently laid up with a cricked neck and almost terminal self-pity, so I've some empathy here. Leaving aside its usefulness as a lightning conductor, the wheels look a bit small - I reckon something about 12 inches with balloony tyres would be less inclined to hook on all those little sticky-up rocks and would jar less on the downhill - although it might push forwards a bit more on drop-offs.

For 390 euros, you could certainly knock up something yourself. Poles are easy to come by, there are masses of second hand 'off road' pushchairs out there, and chest harnesses are around in plenty of French outdoor sports. Fifty quid would probably cover it, although I suspect you'd spend a lot more just tweaking it.

Best bet, though - find a sympathetic partner who'll carry the lion's share of the gear. You seem a decent human being, so shouldn't be a massive problem.

Martin
OP Pyreneenemec 09 Jun 2014
In reply to maisie:

>

> Best bet, though - find a sympathetic partner who'll carry the lion's share of the gear. You seem a decent human being, so shouldn't be a massive problem.

> Martin

So I'm a decent human-being ! I'll see what my other half has to say about that !

Here in France, it goes without saying that the second carries the rope ! Even worse here, as the French have adopted the loony idea of 60m double ropes in one ! The deal was usually, the rope for the second and the leader carried his rack ! I've known exceptions to this when I have carried the rope, another the rack and the guy leading had fùck all in his sack ! Probably the reason that I exclusively lead !

I'll explore the possibility of making something myself; the money saved would go a long way on a cheap flight !

OP Pyreneenemec 19 Jun 2014

Bump !

I really would be interested to hear from anyone who has the same problems carrying a heavy pack alpine climbing or on treks and the solutions they have found.

IPPurewater 19 Jun 2014

I remember seeing an article a couple (possibly more) of years ago, I think in the magazine TGO, about a test of an 80 litre two wheeled pack with a waist harness. The test was in the Cairngorms.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but if you do a bit of searching, it may give you another option.

Ian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...