UKC

How tidal is Church Rock at Broad Haven?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
elefantee 09 Jun 2014
I was looking at Church Rock in the new Pembroke guides, and I have to say I'm seriously tempted to take a boat out and have a go at climbing it.

The photo in the guidebook shows a boat left on a platform a couple of m above sea level but the book does not say whether or not it disappears at high tide.

There is some beach visible in the background of the photo, so the tide can't be at its highest, but I can't really make out more than that.

I'm aiming to go in on a low tide and calm sea, but does anyone know how much time I have to work with before my transport would leave without me?
 David Barlow 09 Jun 2014
In reply to elefante
It depends on how big the tide is (check the tide tables!). However at a big high tide there's no platform visible.

Alternatively swim to it from the nearest rocks on the left side of the beach facing out, at low tide. If you leave from the nearest point it's a lot closer than going from the beach. It's not too far really if you're a confident swimmer. The only slightly tricky bit is downclimbing the final move by the summit, but I soloed it in teva sandals. There was a bunch of tat so people must abseil it.
 John2 09 Jun 2014
In reply to David Barlow:

Agreed, at high spring tides only the top of the spire is visible. There would be no point in climbing it at anything other than low tide anyway.
elefantee 09 Jun 2014
In reply to David Barlow:

Thanks for the information. It was very helpful.

Was the route you soloed the severe? I was hoping to do that, then have a look at the VS next to it. Doesn't seem to be listed on UKC.
 David Barlow 09 Jun 2014
In reply to elefantee:

Yes, I did the Severe. I didn't realise there was a VS as well.
 GDes 09 Jun 2014
Are you sure only the tip is poking out at high spring? It's quite a bit higher than that I thought.

The pic in the guide is of Raf and Me. You'd always be able to get the boat out and leave it somewhere I'd have thought. To be honest, the climbing on there is pretty crap, but fun to go out and just scramble around. Personally, I wouldnt bother taking out rack and ropes.
 John2 09 Jun 2014
In reply to GDes:

Yes, I'm sure - only the spire was visible. It was a high spring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...