UKC

Any experience of OS X Internet recovery?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stig 09 Jun 2014
Annoyingly my nearly two year old MacBook pro is not booting up and is only displaying a grey screen or a flashing question mark file.

I've googled the usual solutions - command R brings up a screen to enter Internet recovery (which I think replaced the disk based recovery on later macs?) - but I haven't tried it yet.

Basically I am worried about losing data. I'm pretty useless with computers and just wondered how much risk there is of wiping the hard disk? All my work stuff is on Dropbox but I've got quite a few photos not backed up.

Or is this likely to give me the best option to get into the desktop and back things up before checking any hardware etc? Any advice much appreciated!
 Oujmik 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Stig:

I used it once to reinstall the OS (although this may have been when it was disk based) and it worked extremely smoothly with no data loss. Don't take this as a guarantee though, as I've only ever done it once!
OP Stig 09 Jun 2014
In reply to Oujmik:
So basically if it recommends reinstalling the OS I should go ahead and that should work without data loss? Obviously I understand I might lose stuff. Cheers
 Oujmik 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Stig:

It worked for me, but probably worth doing a backup if you can before you press go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...