UKC

Picos de Europa info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phill Mitch 09 Jun 2014
We are just planning a camper van trip to the Picos de Europa. I was wondering if anyone knows any good spots to free camp, any must see or do things, and also maybe the odd place where I might pull a fish from the water for dinner?
Thanks for any ideas at all.
 1234None 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

We spent a few weeks in the Picos 2 years ago. Not sure about free camping spots, but we bivvied close to the Naranja de Bulnes hut. If you don't mind a hike you'll find plenty of wild camping spots, but I suspect you want to be in the van?

As for pulling a fish from the water for dinner, I fished in the river that runs through Arenas de Cabrales - some BIG trout in there, and also some great swimming if it gets too hot. You can buy fishing tickets in some of the shops locally.
In reply to Phill Mitch:

I would go back to REMALES for sure. Really good crag.
 orejas 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

Must see:
- The beach at Gulpiyuri: about 300km or so from Arenas
- I would make it to the Refugio at Naranjo de Bulnes (Urriellu)

Depends on the time of the year (not in August) I would take the time to walk the Cares Gorge

Joaquin
OP Phill Mitch 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

Some great ideas there, thanks.
Would be glad of any more ideas, walks/ scrambles for kids, nice villages to see?
Fonty 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

Had a fantastic holiday in the Picos about 4 years ago. I'd also recommend the Cares Gorge walk and the walk up to Naranjo de Bulnes. We used campsites at Arenas de Cabrales, Fuente De, and near Posada de Valdeon - all really good and quite reasonable. We took a copy of Robin Walker's Walks and Climbs in the Picos de Europa (Cicerone) and followed a number of his routes - again all good.
OP Phill Mitch 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Fonty:

ok, thanks a lot.
 Pyreneenemec 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Phill Mitch:

The Rio Deva and other Picos rivers have a run of salmon and native brown trout. Check this link for details of fishing licences :

http://www.dgmontes.org/solicitudes_inf.htm#pesca

I last fished in the Picos in 1996, when obtaining a licence was troublesome. If it's similar to Aragon, you submit your application on-line and receive your licence by mail, then validate with payment in an authorised bank. The basic licence is very inexpensive.

If you fancy a beach, with rocks to play around on, try Pechon, very near to the estuary of the Deva.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...