UKC

Mobile Phone Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamButty 10 Jun 2014
Daughter is due a new phone and I've been backed into a corner and she's having an Iphone, probably about £25 ish.
Question is around phone insurance. I've never bothered before as all our phones are relatively cheap, but this is obviously more.
Do people actually take out insurance? and if so what are the best options?

Ta

Philip 10 Jun 2014
Home insurance.
 Discolegs 10 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I have an "O2 standard insure". Costs £6 pounds a month. On Friday my phone fell on the pavement and the display shattered. I just called O2 and they put me through to the insurance company. They will come and pick up the phone from home tomorrow morning and will get it fixed or replaced in 3-5 working days. In the interim I'm getting a replacement phone against £25 deposit from the local O2 shop.
I actually wanted to cancel the insurance last month. But given that it takes 30 days to do so, and my 2 year contract came to end couple of days ago it didnt make any difference - as I was thinking of changing the contract and/or getting an upgrade. Last month I thought what a waste to have the insurance but now i'm glad I had it (!). Well, let's see how the repair/replacement goes.
 Lord_ash2000 10 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

I have mine via my bank, I pay £10 a month for the account and I get phone insurance, AA cover and travel insurance for that.
 RomTheBear 10 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Be careful most insurance have very high excess to pay especially for iphone, plus their terms and conditions are usually designed in a way that you can almost never make a claim.
I know what I am talking about having broken 5 iPhones already...
 RomTheBear 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> I have mine via my bank, I pay £10 a month for the account and I get phone insurance, AA cover and travel insurance for that.

Same here, until you find out that actually you have a 100£ excess to pay, most iphone repairs cost less than a 100£ so these insurances are a total scam.
OP JamButty 10 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:
Thanks for replies....

Cynically could I just not bother and if she drops it down the bog, could I just get the insurance then?
 Alan M 10 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:
Being someone who has lost a very expensive smart phone a couple of months in to a 24 month contract I was glad of the accidental loss cover my insurance provided. I had a brand new phone delivered to me within 72 hours!!

For me the insurance is worth it especially if the phone is a modern smartphone which would cost many hundreds to replace and you are in a 24month contract with data, call and text limits suited to make best use of that type of phone.

Post edited at 19:28
 ablackett 10 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

You probably can't do this with your daughter, but when I was considering it I thought about how many phones I have lost or destroyed in the last 10 years, none.

How much phone insurance would have been in that time = lots.

Decision made.

It comes down to if you are a loser, a breaker, or a careful person. If you are careful you are subsidising the others. It's not a no brainer like travel or home insurance because the worst case scenario (flush it down the bog) is an acceptable risk to some people.

Nobody can ansewr this for you, it depends on your risk aversion. £10/month insurance or the possiblitiy of a £500 phone being lost. Up to you!
 timjones 10 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

> Thanks for replies....

> Cynically could I just not bother and if she drops it down the bog, could I just get the insurance then?

I'd suggest that if she's that careless, she replaces it herself!
 jasonC abroad 10 Jun 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

On the other hand my wife and daughter have both lost their phones and we got replacements for £25 excess, this was with Smile/Coop, might be different with other banks. I know that Smile charge £75 excess for an iPhone.

How old is your daughter and does she break or lose a lot of stuff, given that an iPhone is £400+ a bit of insurance could be a good idea, just check the small print.

Does she have to have an iPhone could she not go with something as good but with another company?
Antigua 10 Jun 2014
In reply to jasonC abroad:

> Does she have to have an iPhone could she not go with something as good but with another company?

Sorry, nothing personal about the OP but this YouTube clip sums up perfectly 99.99% of iPhone users

youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&

I piss myself laughing every time I see it.
 Dax H 10 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

My insurance with EE costs £8 a month with a £25 excess. Using a smart phone on site in an industrial environment means I claim quite often. The last 2 times I contacted them before 9am and they had a new phone out to me by 10pm that night
 Lord_ash2000 11 Jun 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

> Same here, until you find out that actually you have a 100£ excess to pay, most iphone repairs cost less than a 100£ so these insurances are a total scam.

Well on mine it's £50 for an iphone and £30 for any other. I've just smashed mine for the 2nd time and they are sending me out a new one. I'm on a non iphone myself but even so £50 for losing a £500-£600 iphone isn't bad. My car isn't worth that.
 Blue Straggler 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

When I got a Samsung Galaxy S2, the insurance was about £11 a month! I didn't take it. Phone disappeared 8 months later, on a 24 month contract. I plodded on with an old Nokia handset of mine for a few months then bought a Huawei Ascend G300 for £100 (they had been on much cheaper deals in Tesco for a while but they went like hot cakes) to see me through for 12 months until contract renewal. Annoying but not disastrous. The only thing I missed from my S2 was that it had a decent camera and the Huawei did not. Obviously the S2 was a nicer phone all round but I wasn't that bothered about all the bells and whistles - I just use phones to speak, text, Facebook and email, and the occasional bit of Internet browsing (train times mostly) and as a SatNav and mp3 player.

Now I have a Nokia Lumia 920 on contract. Again no insurance. I dropped it on a hard floor after I'd had it 8 days and now a third of the screen is badly cracked. Phone is still useable. £150 for Nokia to repair it. £100 for "independent" to repair it. I am just living with it. I don't know what the insurance would have cost or whether it covers dropping your phone on a hard floor, or whether there is an excess. But on this contract I pay £12.75 per month, so the phone and useage will have cost me £306 by the time I am finished. I considered insurance but I bet it's about £9 per month, meaning an additional £216 over that time scale. If I destroy or lose this phone, I will be as well off just buying another handset, maybe a more basic one like a 520 which should be about £60 by now I imagine.
 ranger*goy 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

My other half smashed his Nokia screen and repaired it himself. Ordered the screen, watched a youtube how to and fixed it for a tenner.
 Yanis Nayu 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

It's a rip-off, and you'd need amoebic levels of intelligence to take it out.

£25 per month to insure a £5k car that you could can kill half a dozen people with, or £10 a month to insure a bloody 'phone.
 Mike Cross 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Always consult Martin.

Some fairly good info here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/cheap-mobile-phone-insurance
OP JamButty 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Mike Cross:

Thanks some good info there.
Hadn't really thought about linking to other insurance policies.

I'm with Nationwide anyway so may see their options - they have harrassed me in the past to use them and I've ignored them

Thanks for all comments
JB

Blue Straggler 12 Jun 2014
In reply to ranger*goy:

> My other half smashed his Nokia screen and repaired it himself. Ordered the screen, watched a youtube how to and fixed it for a tenner.

What model? You can't do it on the cheap with a Lumia 920 as you would need to replace the screen as well as the digitiser, as they are all bonded together. Parts alone would be £40+ then it becomes VERY fiddly, there are indeed YouTube "how to" for mine but I am advised that a jig is preferable to just doing on a table, so there's some more cost, and it looks like a 2.5 hour job IF you know what you are doing and have some experience.
 ranger*goy 13 Jun 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Cant remember which model it is, I know its not the 920 but it is a Lumia. I guess yours isnt as straight forward.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...