UKC

Converting PDF to TIFF

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 10 Jun 2014
I've got a couple of 400Mb pdf files that I need converted to tiff. Anyone know of a good cheap or free conversion program please?
 BnB 10 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

PDF Xchange Viewer. Perfect for the task and free.
 Oujmik 10 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I have to ask... why?

What's in the PDF? Is it a picture? I assume it is because that's what TIFF is for. Normally PDFs are documents with text and multiple pages and TIFFs are single photos. I'm intrigued as to what content you could have and why it needs the conversion.
 LastBoyScout 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

My thoughts exactly.

I might have understood PNG to TIFF...
OP mypyrex 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Oujmik & LastBoyScout: Because I have some maps in pdf format which need converting to tiff for memory map

Philip 10 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
PDF is a sort of container format, it can include JPEG and possibly TIFF .

To get the best image out you want to extract the image from the PDF and then use something like GIMP to convert to TIFF. This will potentially give you a neater and smaller file than simply converting the PDF to tiff based on a print resolution.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/extract-images-pdf-files-save-windows/
Post edited at 21:59
 Mike-W-99 10 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
> Because I have some maps in pdf format which need converting to tiff for memory map

Gimp can do this as well.

Make sure you use the correct file format when exporting as memory map needs the file to be 8bit with a pallete (may also be described as indexed or 256 colour)

Let me know if you need any help.
Post edited at 22:38
OP mypyrex 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:

> Gimp can do this as well.

> Make sure you use the correct file format when exporting as memory map needs the file to be 8bit with a pallete (may also be described as indexed or 257 colour)

> Let me know if you need any help.

All done thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...