Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Wild Country Rockcentrics - nuts or cams?

Serena Lambre on 11 Jun 2014

Perhaps someone could explain something to me.
While reading about the Wild Country Rockcentric nuts on one retailer's website, I saw this sentence:

"One nut can provide four placement modes ... two of these [are] 'camming style placements.'"

Another retialer described the Rockcentrics as giving, "bomber 'camming' placements in parallel cracks."

Thinking that I had missed something in my fledgling attempts to understand cams, I tried to find a definition of 'camming' or 'cams' that didn't involve a suitcase of pirated DVDs.

The vast majority of definitions I found of 'camming' on climbing related sites all said the same thing: 'active' protection, where as nuts were always defined as 'passive' protection. How can one thing be both?
All the definitions I found of 'camming' and 'cams' also mentioned moving parts, of which the Rockcentrics have none.

So - my question is this - were Wild Country or the retailers doing what Kellogg's did when they claimed that a couple of Shredded Wheat 'could' give you a healthy heart, or is there a truth in this statement that I just don't understand?

... not showing 18 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums