UKC

Light boxes for the winter blues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 11 Jun 2014
Last winter was not a good time for me. There were various stresses that could have been to blame but I think that some degree of seasonal depression was involved too.
I took vit D supplement and it helped somewhat but I'd like to explore the light box thingy too.
Any experiences with them positive or negative? Advice on buying the things or what type to get?
 gethin_allen 11 Jun 2014
In reply to pasbury:

My mum uses them and she reckons they work, She just puts it on on a shelf just out of/behind her field of view while eating breakfast so that it feels like you are sat next to a bright window. This anecdotal evidence is't worth much scientifically but I'm not sure how you could do a double blind test for such things and if the effect is that you feel better then that's what you wanted anyhow.

My friend who went to Aberdeen university said that they were available to borrow from the university, which makes you think that there is some validity to their claims.

They are quite cheap these days so it's worth a pop (obviously following health warnings if you have anything like epilepsy).

mullermn 11 Jun 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

I get major winter blues to the point that I've considered emigrating to get away from 3 months a year of being perpetually tired and feeling partly sedated.

I used a light box this winter for the first time and I think it did make a difference. It doesn't make it like summer, but I think it did help.
MarkM 11 Jun 2014
In reply to pasbury:

Yes, worth trying in my opinion.

Some companies offer a 30 day trial so would only cost you return postage if you find no effect (e.g. www.lumie.com)

which model depends on various factors (how much you have to spend - desire for portability etc). They update regularly (I guess due to new LED technology) so my model is no longer stocked.

Cheers
Mark

marsbar 11 Jun 2014
In reply to pasbury:

I think it helps.

What helps me is if I can manage to get a winter sun holiday at some point. Skiing was also good as it was bright and sunny even though it wasn't warm. The positive feelings from that seem to last for a while after I get back.
 sbc_10 11 Jun 2014
In reply to pasbury:

The British Antarctic Survey may have some data and advice. The team at Halley Base experience a good 3 months of darkness through the Austral winter
and being in a positive mood certainly helps for that placement.

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/about_bas/contact/
 j0ntyg 11 Jun 2014
In reply to pasbury:

For what it's worth, this is what I know about it. You have a problem. Myself and a good friend grew up in The Lakes. All our lives were spent seeing the large differences in sunlight as the seasons went by. We went to Australia together then he quickly moved to New Zealand where he stayed for several years. NZ is the same as UK season wise. But after many years back in The Lakes, where he grew up, he gets badly disturbed by the fast shortening autumn/winter days.
On the other hand, I worked on the equator many times and what started to irritate me was the damn sun coming up at 6am then going down at 6pm. I longed for the north.
 Jerry67 11 Jun 2014
In reply to pasbury:

A colleague of mine uses one in her rather dark office and says it helps. Must be worth trying.
J

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...