UKC

Nexus 7 Drivers for Windows 8.1

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 11 Jun 2014
Can anyone please, please, please let me know where I can download Nexus 7 drivers for Windows 8.1 together with an idiots guide as to what to do exactly.

Yours, exasperatedly

Mypyrex :0(

(cant really seem to find anything simple on google)
 The Lemming 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

You and me both

Things were all hunky dorey up until recently. Seems like Microsoft does not want to play nicely any more.
 Only a hill 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

It shouldn't need drivers. If you plug it in, the device's mass storage should simply appear in My Computer.
OP mypyrex 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

> It shouldn't need drivers. If you plug it in, the device's mass storage should simply appear in My Computer.

Well it ain't :0( All I get is the "USB device not recognised" and nothing showing on device manager :0(
Removed User 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

nexus 7 windows drivers

First link is to Asus website with downloads listed.

Please learn to google, it's not hard.
OP mypyrex 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> nexus 7 windows drivers

> First link is to Asus website with downloads listed.

> Please learn to google, it's not hard.

Please learn to understand that I've already been down that route but I have not found a simple answer, otherwise I would not have posted.

I might not be the brightest spark on UKC but I am not totally stupid.
 The Lemming 11 Jun 2014

> nexus 7 windows drivers

> First link is to Asus website with downloads listed.

> Please learn to google, it's not hard.

Before you take the urine with using the Google Card, have you actually tried to connect an Android device to a Windows computer?

It does not work, no matter what you try.
OP mypyrex 11 Jun 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I've just been on to ASUS and they tell me that because "Windows is Windows and Nexus is Android" they cannot be connected and the only way to do things like transfer files is to use "Cloud"" :0(
 Mike Stretford 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex: I've had a quick look round and this appears to be a Windows 8.1 issue. There are fixes but they seem to get a bit involved, I would try an app called Airdroid. It should allow wireless trasfer between the pc and Nexus.

I did recommend the Nexus 7 but had no idea about this as it's fine with Win 7.

OP mypyrex 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> I've had a quick look round and this appears to be a Windows 8.1 issue. There are fixes but they seem to get a bit involved, I would try an app called Airdroid. It should allow wireless trasfer between the pc and Nexus.

> I did recommend the Nexus 7 but had no idea about this as it's fine with Win 7.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look. At least I'm not the only one with the problem.
Removed User 11 Jun 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

This is not what he asked. He asked for downloads which took about a second to find. There's no excuse for that other than laziness.

I promise it took him longer to come here and post for a google request than it would have taken him to download/install in the first place. Worth noting that it's the second time today I've googled stuff for him.
OP mypyrex 11 Jun 2014

> This is not what he asked. He asked for downloads which took about a second to find. There's no excuse for that other than laziness.

> I promise it took him longer to come here and post for a google request than it would have taken him to download/install in the first place. Worth noting that it's the second time today I've googled stuff for him.

Read my OP. If you have any intelligence at all you would deduce from my comment that I have looked at numerous options. As for googling "for him" if you feel badly about it I suggest you don't bother. There are plenty of people on this forum who are able to give a reasonable answer to the questions of others.
 The Lemming 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> I did recommend the Nexus 7 but had no idea about this as it's fine with Win 7.

I wish it was fine with my Nexus 4 and 7 as I too am using Windows 7.

The Lemming 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

you could also try theA developers forums as well. very helpful site.
OP mypyrex 11 Jun 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks
 Neil Williams 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Only a hill:

I wish Android would go back to showing the device as a USB disk rather than the Windows connection rubbish.

Neil
 timjones 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Can anyone please, please, please let me know where I can download Nexus 7 drivers for Windows 8.1 together with an idiots guide as to what to do exactly.

> Yours, exasperatedly

> Mypyrex :0(

> (cant really seem to find anything simple on google)

If you want to transfer files I would recommend ignoring wired USB connections.

Search Google Play for Syncme and get yourself set up to automatically sync over WiFi.

imkevinmc 11 Jun 2014
In reply to timjones:
Agree totally. You should never need to hard wire any nexus device. Use WiFi & cloud.
5tormin' 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Are you sure you need drivers?
Try this first.
Re: Windows PC having problem with recognizing Nexus 7
If your Windows 8 PC does not recognize Nexus 7 Android Tablet take the following action.

Start the PC,
At Home screen, click All Apps.
Open Settings ,
Choose Storage.
Click Menu Icon , and Select The Command USB COMPUTER CONNECTION,
The two Available Options are MTP and PTP.
Check mark by the Media Device (MTP) option to select it.
Click Home button to return to the Home screen.

After taking that measure connect the Tablet and Windows 8 should recognize it.
 The Lemming 11 Jun 2014
In reply to 5tormin':

Been there, done that, and no, Windows does not recognise any Nexus kit.

Kipper 11 Jun 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Before you take the urine with using the Google Card, have you actually tried to connect an Android device to a Windows computer?

Yes; just turned on one I've not used for a few months, connected it, and it worked fine

> It does not work, no matter what you try.

I'm not so sure.

5tormin' 11 Jun 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Ok then we need to get serious.
What version of Nexus7 do you have?
Is it rooted?
Are you prepared to root to solve your problem?
Kipper 11 Jun 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Before you take the urine with using the Google Card, have you actually tried to connect an Android device to a Windows computer?

Just connected the 2nd one and that worked fine as well. I don't have the Nexus 7 here to try that.
OP mypyrex 11 Jun 2014
RIGHT. I've managed to get the file(a self scanned map) from my PC to the Nexus 7 using cloud; but I no need to get it into the Memory Map program on the Nexus.

Anyone got any ideas?
OP mypyrex 11 Jun 2014

The Nexus 7 is now showing as a Bluetooth device(but not connected) on the PC. Any suggestions what I do next? :o|
Post edited at 20:53
5tormin' 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

It seems that you don't really know what info.
you need.Drivers?File system?Downloads?
If you have now managed to sync your Nexus7 with your PC then simply copy and paste the image into
the memory map folder on your PC.Then download the file to your Nexus.
 timjones 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> RIGHT. I've managed to get the file(a self scanned map) from my PC to the Nexus 7 using cloud; but I no need to get it into the Memory Map program on the Nexus.

> Anyone got any ideas?

What format is the file in?

I have a nasty suspicion that Memory Map for Android will not support QCT files ;(
OP mypyrex 11 Jun 2014
In reply to timjones:
Given up for tonight :0(

5tormin' 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Watch this and try.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLzEIg3RzoU
 timjones 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Given up for tonight :0(

OK. Come the morning Alpine Quest may offer a solution IIRC.
 The Lemming 11 Jun 2014
In reply to 5tormin':

> Ok then we need to get serious.

> What version of Nexus7 do you have?

Up till an hour ago 4.4.2and I have now updated to 4.4.3. I have not updated my Nexus 4 to 4.4.3 yet though.

> Is it rooted?

Its not rooted, and I'd prefer not to root my device as I find the whole process complex and baffling.

> Are you prepared to root to solve your problem?

Thinking back I was able to connect my phone and tablet to my computer but that was before I changed the processor and motherboard. I have tried to update the drivers by going to the Gigabyte website. It has a auto-update software which will find out of date drivers but asks for a lot of cash before allowing the downloads to begin. Something which I am not prepared to do.

I really want to solve this issue because in the past I had no problems and now I do. I even had an experiment with a virgin, pre Service Pack 1, Windows 7 OS but that too would not allow me to connect my Nexus 4 and 7.

This leaves me with the only conclusion that it must be my motherboard and its drivers that are not playing nicely.

Why should I have to pay Gigabyte money so that I can download drivers?

The Lemming 11 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
Sir, yhm
5tormin' 11 Jun 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Take a look at this, you don't have to root.
Unified Android Toolkit [Nexus and Samsung devices] v1.2.8
OP mypyrex 12 Jun 2014
Hmmm...the plot thickens. Spoke this morning to a few computer techies and they all said there should be no problem connecting a Nexus 7 with Windows 8.1.

Taking pc and Nexus into a guy this morning. Fingers crossed.
OP mypyrex 12 Jun 2014
An hour with the local geek - sorted. Apparently a setting in the tablet needed changing :0)
 The Lemming 12 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
> An hour with the local geek - sorted. Apparently a setting in the tablet needed changing :0)

This is driving me round the feking bend.

Tonight I found and downloaded all the available drivers for my Motherboard, Gigabyte Z87-HD3.

I then double checked that USB debugging and Media Device (MTP) were ticked on my Nexus 7 and 4.

When I plugged my Nexus 4 into my computer I got an error message that the drivers were not installed correctly. When I went into Device Manager I could not find any Unknown Devices or any devices with problems what so ever.

Next I plugged in my Nexus 7. And for a split second my computer said Nexus 7 plugged in. For a split second I got excited but this only lasted until the Nexus 7 name vanished and was replaced with Unknown Device. I have tried the Drivers from the ASUS website andA Developers forums but every time I try, my computer keeps telling me that I have upto date drivers and refuses to use the one that I tell it to use. I can uninstall drivers till I am blue in the face but Windows 7 will not install the driver I want it to. It feking chooses the driver that it wants which does not help me one jot.

AGGGGGG!

Edit

I tried plugging my Nexus 4 and 7 into my Laptop and the installed flawlessly first time.

So the problem must be with my Motherboard but I don't have a scooby.
Post edited at 20:49
 The Lemming 12 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Glad you got the MM Tracker file. Have you installed ES File Explorer onto your Nexus?

If so, this will allow you to install MM Tracker onto your Nexus.

Kipper 12 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> An hour with the local geek - sorted. Apparently a setting in the tablet needed changing :0)

Was that touching the button that says something like 'Use as connected USB mass storage device' instead of 'Charge only'

I was going to suggest that, but it sounded too obvious.....
5tormin' 13 Jun 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
What usb cable are you using?
Have you got usb2 and usb3?
Try alternative usb ports on your pc with
different cables,might be a connectivity problem.
ps.glad you are sharing mmtracker.
Post edited at 21:12
 The Lemming 13 Jun 2014
In reply to 5tormin':

> ps.glad you are sharing mmtracker.

Got to share the love.

Just got to touch base with mypyrex to see if he has it installed.

And as for my problem, it seems to be the Motherboard that is the issue and no matter what cable or USB port I use on it I can not get any Nexus product to connect. At least I can get my kit to connect to my laptop, so I can stop thinking that I'm going crazy over this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...