UKC

Alternative to solar phone charger - DeWalt drill battery!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 11 Jun 2014
Anyone here with a DeWalt drill or other power tool? With the daughter off to Leeds festival and the wife and I always off and about camping I looked into power monkey type chargers and mixed reviews haven't led me to get one yet, relying on the car cig lighter socket for phone and tablet charge ups.
I've just treated myself to a DeWalt 18v cordless drill and spotted this add-on:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcb090-xj-usb-charging-xr-battery-adaptor/...
I'll post back on performance but suspect it'll be far better that the battery-pack type portable chargers you can get.
 gethin_allen 11 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

for the price or a Dewalt XR lithium ion battery (£35 for the cheapest smallest capacity)and the charger at £30 i suspect you'd be better with a Anker astro @ £37
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D5T3QK4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&t...

Much smaller and more practical.
 berna 11 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

if not having unlimited charges as you do with a solar charger is not an issue then you could look at the jockery portable charger. It is small, not too heavy and rugged enough. The best thing, it has a 2A output so while not mega nice to your bateries it will charge a phone quite quickly. I've got one and when fully charged it carries enough juice for 3 full charges of my nokia Lumia.

cheers,
 hokkyokusei 11 Jun 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

Presumably he's already got the battery though? Plus, it could well have a lot more capacity than 1.5Ah.
 gethin_allen 11 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> Presumably he's already got the battery though? Plus, it could well have a lot more capacity than 1.5Ah.

But this is 15,000 mAh not 1500mAh as you read.
To add to the advantages, it has a 3Amp output, it is smaller than the dewalt battery alone not including the usb converter device. If you do find a power socket (in a toilet block at a campsite or on a train or some such)you can charge the Anker battery with a relatively small charger block compared with a rather large dewalt battery charger that you probably wouldn't want to carry.
In reply to berna:

> The best thing, it has a 2A output so while not mega nice to your bateries it will charge a phone quite quickly.

The charge current of a LiIon phone battery, charged by the phone, is determined by the charging circuitry in the phone, not by the current capability of the external source (assuming the external source is capable of supplying enough current for the phone to charge).

A power source that can source 2.1A is good for charging things that will use that 2.1A; an iPad, for instance. Other devices that use a lower charge current will only take whatever current they need to charge their smaller batteries.

In other words, the Jackery charger won't be 'not mega nice to your batteries'.
OP wilkie14c 11 Jun 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> Presumably he's already got the battery though? Plus, it could well have a lot more capacity than 1.5Ah.

Yes, already have the battery with the drill of course! its a 18v 2.0AH one too
Post edited at 20:33
OP wilkie14c 11 Jun 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

Quite, the blackberry playbook <my movie playing tablet> needs charging properly when less than 10% - the USB computer ports won't cut it, only mains or the 2 amp adaptor I have for the car can get it over the 10% charge that the battery conditioning firmware needs to allow a full charge. Stack charging works if I have the time though.
I thought of another reason this is a good buy though aside from the fact that DeWalt batteries are superb quality, I'll be able to charge my phone while I'm drilling bolts at stanage
 hokkyokusei 11 Jun 2014

You're right, I totally misread that
 gethin_allen 11 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:
> Yes, already have the battery with the drill of course! its a 18v 2.0AH one too

But do you really want your daughter taking £130 (battery + usb adapter) worth of your stuff to a festival? and does she really want to carry it all?

Could possibly see it's use if you were car camping and had many of the big mother 4 Ah batteries that you've accumulated for their main purpose, but in most circumstances I think it's a rather expensive and impractical way of charging your devices.
The one I linked to above will give more that enough juice for a festival; it can fully charge an Ipad 3 times so a mobile phone many more times and that's pretty much once a day for even the longest festivals and it will easily fit in a pocket.
And it has a 3 A out if needed for extra fast charging of tablet computers whereas the dewalt kit only does 2 A.
Post edited at 20:49
OP wilkie14c 11 Jun 2014

> But do you really want your daughter taking £130 (battery + usb adapter) worth of your stuff to a festival? and does she really want to carry it all?

I don't really want her going at all mate

You are right though, I've an old ace 2 here somewhere, might get a couple of batteries off ebay and send here with that rather than her iphone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...