UKC

Olympus M1 or M5 - Noise complaints?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thelongcon 12 Jun 2014

Hello all,

I've been looking at the M1 or possible the M5 depending on how a job goes, and read that the camera is pretty much perfect.
However, I did find a small thread - in the depths of searching for the negatives of the camera - where astrophotographers complained of excessive noise at around ISO600 and above.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm a big fan of star timelapses, so this is a bit of a deal breaker. However everything else about the camera is so damn sexy!

Thanks
Post edited at 06:54
 Toerag 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Thelongcon:

I have an M5 and yes, your suspicions are somewhat correct, although I've not taken time to master astro stuff. The fastest lens I have is the panny 20 (f1.7) and it's useless for astro as you cannot tell what you're focussing on, so I've used my samyang fisheye (f3.5) for what little I've tried. The camera does do 'dark frame' noise reduction but that's not perfect. It lacks an intervalometer so you couldn't do timelapses easily - the noise will prevent a single long exposure and you won't be easily able to stack multi shots. I think there have been articles on admiring light / LuLa about using the Olys at night. They're fine for normal night landscape, but star trails will be troublesome unless you have something like the f0.95 voightlaenders to screw on the front. Does an M10 have an intervalometer / timelapse function?
 Toerag 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Thelongcon:

With reference to an intervalometer, I came across this yesterday, so will give it a go tonight. If it works it should be really useful :-
"not sure what you need for intervals... but the "antishock" feature can act as an intervalometer.
Set it to 8 seconds, then put a rubber band around the shutter release.
Voila ! 8 second intervals.
You can go up to 30 seconds I think. Plus, if you put the timer on as well, you can boost the interval by an additional 2 or 12 seconds."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...