UKC

Dislocated Shoulder - What To Do

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 12 Jun 2014
I dislocated my shoulder doing a handstand in Yoga!

Never dislocated it before and I thought my shoulders were strong. It seems to have comne out upwards, the arm was stuck out at about 90 degrees and I couild lift it up with my other arm but it would not go down or into my side.

Went to casuality and had it put back in afer some IV morphine and serious pulling.

Not really had any pain since, it feels OK in normal use and now (three weeks later)I can do such things as bench press, press ups, shoulder press, chin ups with no pain at all (physio said its ok if there is no pain).

Hoewever it does not feel right and and it feels really weak pulling to the side particularly, like it will come out again. Which is strange as thats not how I discloted it.

Anyone had similar dislocations?

Anyone got any idea what is going on?

Any tips for rehab, getting back to climbing?

Thank you for your help.

Gary.

Robbiobaby 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

This is a good article:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=119

Though I highly highly recommend seeing a physio asap before you make it any worse. I was doing these exercises but you need to have to have really good form that only a physio can tell you face to face.

I have dislocated my shoulder, possibly not as badly as you have but have friends that have done it a number of times. The ligaments stretch and dont repair so if you do it once or twice more you may need surgery.

It doesn't matter how strong you are if you dont have good posture then you can dislocate you shoulder. While climbing, doing handstands etc you need your shoulders as low as possible and your shoulder blades pinched together as possible, but again get a physio to show you.

My shoulder was weak for quite a while but doing exercises everyday means it is barely noticeable anymore.

I hope this is useful, apologies that it is a bit rushed!
 1poundSOCKS 12 Jun 2014

I had a bad dislocation and fracture, crashed my mountain bike. I got great physio through the NHS, and I stuck with all the exercises. Just be really careful and patient, don't take any chances, there's something like a 90% re-dislocation rate, and it can be a downwards spiral if you dislocate it again.

Seven years on, it feels strong and I've tested it a few times, including a bad crash in the Alps where I used that arm to take the impact. Just got away with a badly sprained thumb.
 jonny taylor 12 Jun 2014

It sounds like if you're back doing that stuff after 3 weeks then you've been very fortunate. My wife is only just starting to regain movement and beginnings of strength after 4 weeks and the help of a very good physio. She would be horrified at the idea of you doing that weights work with it!

I say this purely to offer some context and comparison - I'd suggest you shouldn't be worried about it feeling insecure in the joint and likely to dislocate again - she has been terrified of that for the last month and is only now starting to (quite rapidly) feel like it is under control.

Sounds like you're doing very well with your recovery, and probably shouldn't be worried if after 3 weeks it still "does not feel right"...
 Dandan 12 Jun 2014

Rotator cuff exercises!

After 5 dislocations and surgery, my advice to myself would be to do more rotator cuff exercises and shoulder mobility work.

It does sound like you got off pretty lightly if you can do all those things within 3 weeks, but still I would say go careful, see a GOOD physio who may be able to point out likely causes or future problems, and do some rotator cuff exercises!
Removed User 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Dandan:

Thank you all very much for the advice. I do think I have dodged a bullet with this one!

The cause seems to have been that the muscles in the back of the shoulder that give the joint stability were very wasted not sure why and this allowed the joint to become very unstable

I have been given some exercises to sort this out the muscles are so wasted that my two shoulders move completely differently!

Got an MRI on 8 Jul so we be very careful until then

Flo-go 13 Jun 2014

That's quick for the MRI!

I had mine 3 months after dislocating my shoulder and only got the results today (dislocated it on the 3rd feb).

I saw a physio right from the outset and honestly don't know what I would have done without her. Good to see you've been to see one and have exercises. Mine focused on regaining range of motion and then slowly strengthening my rotator cuff muscles. I now have full range of motion and a decent amount of strength back but I'm not pain free. I started doing some climbing again at about 2 1/2months post dislocation. Started with easy traversing and balance type stuff and am only just starting to tackle steep climbs and am only now starting to approach my pre-dislocation grade.

It can be frustrating, but keep at it. Do your physio exercises religiously as directed and take things slowly.

I have managed to avoid surgery (at least for now) because I have kept at the rehab despite my injury being pretty extensive.

Stuck with an extensive anterior labral tear with bicep tendon anchor involvement and blankart lesion.

Only symptoms I have of it now are clicking when I rotate my arm backwards and slight pain and discomfort (and of course a predisposition to re-dislocate the shoulder)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...