UKC

Alpine Peaks- Permit fees?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stani49 12 Jun 2014
Hi all,

Currently looking at some 4000m peaks for training on this Summer in the Alps. I will be based in Chamonix but have already climbed Mont Blanc so considering other options, happy to travel a bit. I was told the Matterhorn has a fixed fee of about £960 to climb so wondered if this fee only applies to the Matterhorn? I'm looking at other cheaper peaks like Dom, Taschhorn etc, but can't find out anywhere if these have a fixed rate too.

Any links or advice would be a great help.

Ta,
Alex
 mattrm 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Stani49:
That's only the cost if you're being guided. There are no peak fees in the alps. If you get a Swiss guide in Zermatt, it'll cost you about 1300 euros or so. Booking a week's climbing holiday with a guide (specfically to climb the Matterhorn) will probably cost a couple of grand if it's just you.

Also I assume you know that the Hornli Hut is being refurbished this year, so you might want t0 look at the Italian side.

Out of vague interest, who told you it cost £960?
Post edited at 10:56
OP Stani49 12 Jun 2014
In reply to mattrm:

Thanks for reply.
Yeah wasn't planning to go via the Hornli hut route.
I looked at the Alpincenter website which said there was a fixed park fee of CHF1440 specifically for the Matterhorn. A number of guides I spoke to have pointed this out or perhaps I've misunderstood?
 mattrm 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Stani49:

This place:

http://www.alpincenter-zermatt.ch/cms/output.php?id=50&nav=104&cat_...

"You can take this tour with a private guide (one person only). Price: CHF 1445.-"

I'm quite sure you can do it unguided and it'll be free. Might be a bit stiff for you however. I'd get some experience on easier peaks first, build up to it. I suspect if you're talking to guides, they're assuming you'll be doing it with them, hence the cost.

Also you know that Cham and Zermatt aren't that near each other right?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...