UKC

Rear derailleur rattle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbingpixie 12 Jun 2014
I recently replaced my rear derailleur as the barrel adjuster on my old one had stripped and was stopping me from being able to index my gears properly. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting a weird rattling noise when I'm in my three largest sprockets since I fitted the new one. It's shifting fine and I don't think it's an indexing problem as the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the chain rubbing on the sprockets.

I set it up using the Park Tool book as my guide so I've done my H and L limit screws and adjusted the B screw so the derailleur should be sitting in the correct position.

Anyone got any ideas of what to try next? It's a SRAM Force mech, if that helps. Thanks
Removed User 12 Jun 2014
In reply to climbingpixie:

Are you sure the B-screw is adjusted properly?
OP climbingpixie 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

It is according to Park Tools. The mech is sitting 6mm below the biggest sprocket. TBH this is the first time I've fitted a rear mech that's needed any adjustment so it may well be wrong!
 LastBoyScout 12 Jun 2014

Which chainring are you in when it happens?
In reply to LastBoyScout:

it happens in either. Not sure if it's worse in one than the other, it didn't seem like it.
Removed User 12 Jun 2014

I would keep tightening the B-screw while turning the cranks and see if it disappears.

Also if the chain is easy to take off (removable link) you can confirm by eye that the sprockets aren't touching.
 woolsack 12 Jun 2014

Check your cassette isn't loose, are the top three individual loose sprockets? I've had the lock nut come undone and the symptoms sound similar
 krikoman 12 Jun 2014

How old is your chain?
In reply to woolsack:

Top three are one unit. The lock nut is tightened to torque but there does seem to be a little play in the cassette. I do have another rear wheel with a different cassette on it so I might try it with that one and see what happens.
In reply to Removed User:

I'll try that later, if the problem still happens with a different cassette. I do have a Powerlink on the chain to remove it but this is my last Powerlink (except my emergency one) so I'll leave that as a last resort.
In reply to krikoman:

About 3 years old. Think it's probably done about 3000 miles. Can't find my chain checker (think we may have lent it to someone) so can't check the wear on it.

I'm unsure of the age of the cassette, I got it free when I bought some second hand wheels from someone from this forum.
 malk 12 Jun 2014

new jockey wheels=new chain..
?
In reply to malk:

I thought that was just the cassette and the chain?
 malk 12 Jun 2014
worn jockey wheels should be obvious by comparing with new ones, so prob not that.
is your new RD same model as the one you replaced?
a pic might be helpful (largest sprocket-side on)
 Frank4short 12 Jun 2014

This may sound stupid but is it screwed on tight? As that's what it kinda sounds like to me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...