UKC

Answering ebay questions.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 12 Jun 2014
Afternoon folks,
Hope you are all good and looking forward to the World Cup........

I am selling something on fleabay for £300 or best offer. Someone sent me 3 offers well under the asking price which were all rejected and the low offers didn't bother me because if you don't ask, you don't get.

Anyway, they have since messaged me a few times asking what my best price is, so I told them £280 and that's final otherwise the kit can just go back in the cupboard. They have since messaged me twice saying they really want it, they need it for an exped but can't pay that price because they have 5 children and very high bills this month.......

Now I am yet to reply, but I know what I'd like to say but I reckon I'll just ignore the messages because I have a lot of interest and the item will sell for my price.

Now then, here is your conundrum for the day. If you were to message back, what would you say?
 nicmac 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Sorry £280 is best price.

keep it brief. end of.....
 rj_townsend 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

"As already stated, the minimum price I will accept is £280. If you believe you can purchase this item for less elsewhere, please do so."
 Mike Stretford 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:
I keep a polite poker face on ebay. I'd say I hope you manage to find what you need at a price you can afford, as my item will sell for the stated price.
Post edited at 14:55
 goose299 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

no??
Everyones got their own financial responsibilities. Just tell him that you've got a significant other/kids/dog/etc and can't afford to sell it any cheaper
 Scomuir 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Whether you do, or don't, say you've got 6 kids?
Removed User 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Suggest if he has 5 kids he could sell one and use the proceeds to fund his exped.

Bonus: lowers his future bill costs.
 TMM 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

These kind of questions used to bother me but now they annoy me.

The use of emotional manipulation is unlikely to get you very far in the Tesco or the BP garage and it will not influence me to lower my prices on eBay.

Stay strong Den!! If the price is far then stick with it.
abseil 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Denni, I've got 19 kids, so please sell it to me for 20 quid.

(Joke over)

Seriously though, the first reply was best (nicmac) - keep it brief, 280, end of story. Good luck, hope you get 280 soon.
 winhill 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

difficult isn't it? I think the 'what's your lowest price' type of question, as a negotiating technique, is a wanker question.

ebay is especially bad for this and 95% of people who ask wanker questions are wankers and they don't complete on the transaction.

If you're confident of getting your price then yes, don't reply, it's up to him to up his offer, it's not up to you to bare you arse for him.

OTOH if he's serious is there a way to haul him in? Is it a collection only item? Can you save ebay fees by selling it before the auction ends?
In reply to Denni:

"Sorry, I need at least £280 to pay for the heart operation on the disabled orphan Somali 3 year old, I've adopted."
 Sean_J 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:

Put your price up to £290 just to piss him off - Ebay is full of knobheads and chancers.
In reply to Denni: He's got five kids and presumably a partner who will look after them all while he goes on his expedition. I'd message him back saying he's already the luckiest man alive and either to cough up the £280 or look elsewhere.

Mike00010 13 Jun 2014
In reply to winhill:

You need to consider culture and where the persons from here. Barterring here in Malaysia:
They quote a price.
They often straight away offer a discount.
You ask for their best price.
They quote you the best price.
No more negotiation. Buy or leave. That's their best price. If you ask again they will often get quite offended.

cap'nChino 13 Jun 2014
In reply to Denni:
Perhaps he should have thought about future expeditions and the cost when he decided to have 5 kids (assuming they weren't thrust on him of course)

It his right to have that many kids, it not his right to expect you to feel ashamed for sticking to your guns about the cost of the items you are selling.
Post edited at 09:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...