UKC

What's the weather gonna do ???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciderslider 12 Jun 2014
So Peak district tomorrow - all the forecasts say something different - anyone any local knowledge or ideas ?
 imkevinmc 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

It's forecast dry all day, so does it matter?
 CurlyStevo 12 Jun 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:

Nope the mountain forecasts are not looking as good as that they are forecasting drizzle tomorrow afternoon and Saturday.

imkevinmc 12 Jun 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

MWIS for tomorrow is:

"A few pockets of rain and drizzle, mainly north from Saddleworth Moor.
Small chance of an isolated heavier shower later in the day."

I wouldn't worry, there'll be far more dry than wet.
 CurlyStevo 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

I'd change destination personally even if it doesn't rain it's looking a bit warm for grit and it doesn't look like it will be windy enough to keep off the midgies to me (and if the sun ain't out it may well be midgie all day!)

Have you ever been to sharpnose or compass point - you'd love it
 CurlyStevo 12 Jun 2014
In reply to imkevinmc:
Did you read the met mountain one? Or the forecast for Saturday?

Doesn't look worth a 450 mile round trip when other areas look better to me! Apart from the rain the chance of sun is much lower and there is a lot of talk of low cloud at around 300 metres and I suspect it won't be windy enough at the crag base to keep the midgies off if the sun isn't out.
Post edited at 16:11
 CurlyStevo 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

is it just for a day trip?
 Offwidth 12 Jun 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Nonsense. 17 at lower levels with light winds should be fine, especially for the higher exposed crags (and possibly great for the big moorland north facing edges If the drizzle holds off). Only midged for the first time on grit last weekend at Earl and that was only a few nips
 CurlyStevo 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
Well I was climbing with a grit local 2 weeks ago who said he's already been midged badly then! Maybe you've not been out much?

Why take a risk going to climb in the peak in the shade, possible rain and low cloud around 300 metres when for about the same drive you can go to bude? The tides are looking right also...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gchc0ssk0
Post edited at 16:15
OP Ciderslider 12 Jun 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Hi m8, na it was going up tonight and back on sat evening - really really wanna get on FBD at Stanage - so, what would you do weather wookie ???
OP Ciderslider 12 Jun 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yeh, think I might head down to Swanage tonight now - b@stard weather !!!!!
 CurlyStevo 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

look up lunakhod!!!!
 Offwidth 12 Jun 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Maybe being an expert non local I'd rather go to a crag where I won't get midged!? Its not rocket science... find a crag that faces any breeze and avoid the midge hotspot crags like Stanage.

However if you want to climb in the peak this weekend it doesn't look too bad as all long drives are relative to desire.
Post edited at 16:38
 imkevinmc 12 Jun 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I'll let you know on Monday just how great the weekend was.
 Bulls Crack 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

> Hi m8, na it was going up tonight and back on sat evening - really really wanna get on FBD at Stanage - so, what would you do weather wookie ???

FBD? Fortesque's Bastard Deviation? You don't see that get done very often!
andyathome 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

It will remain stable for a while. Not sure how long. Then it will change. After a period of instability it will change again to something different. Eventually that weather system will itself change to something again. Then it will either be sunny or rainy.
 CurlyStevo 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
Facing the breeze doesn't work so well on the crag base to deter midgies in my experience unless it's pretty windy as it tends to be sheltered. A cross wind would work better. The wind this weekend doesn't look that strong to me plus the op wants to go to stanage. That said the latest mountain forecasts don't look to bad for Friday a small gamble id say, but Saturday looks less good.

Personally for a 4 hour drive I'd go somewhere with less midgies and a better forecast. If I lived in the peak it would be different. But if the op would be happy with one day then it could be worth it I guess.

I prefer grit in spring and autumn myself.
Post edited at 23:11
 CurlyStevo 13 Jun 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

The latest high neb forecast isn't looking as great for today or tomorrow

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcqzd69kf#?fcTime=14027...

whilst bude is still looking awesome and you have a choice of routes in the sun or routes in the shade!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gchc0ssk0#?fcTime=14027...
 Jon Stewart 13 Jun 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:

You talk sense. Not grit conditions at the moment, warm, humid and midgy. Lower Sharpnose is about a trillion times more appropriate IMO, and I prefer the routes there almost infinitely, too. Not to mention how much I like the grades!
 Offwidth 14 Jun 2014
In reply to CurlyStevo:
The point I was making was if someone is really keen they would be OK. Of course there there are many places that might be better but 4 hour round trips are trivial if you look at what we do in winter. Of course grit is partly seasonal. Of coure still humid summer days are hell on Stanage.

I went to Bell Hagg and Higgar Tor yesterday. Bell Hagg is decidedly unloved. The few easier problems in the brand spanking new Rockfax guide I went to tick and check for Offwidth were overgrown, did a few other problems and walked the edge (even the path is getting overgrown ffs). Went to Higgar after I had finished, to look at the first problems in the Burb Infinity chapter NE facing, so didnt get eaten. Interesting problems albeit the grades are suspect and given imperfect landings and careful finishes I need a spotter to finish off properly. Went round to check out a mate possibly on a classic on leaning block and was immediately surrounded by clouds of midges, fortunately not really ravenous ones as yet.
Post edited at 11:19
 CurlyStevo 14 Jun 2014
In reply to Offwidth:
I guess its all about maximising your chances of having the most fun - well for most people anyway

My finger is a bit funky at the moment so had to cancel climbing this weekend. I can top rope easy stuff though and have a couple of mates that are learning to climb on sandstone so still getting out once a week. Sometimes I get midged down here! But rarely that many of them to bother me - seeing as I suffered the Scottish variety for a good few years living there.

The pattern I've noticed is midgies hate droughts. If you get a proper drought summer it kills them in large numbers and sets them back a year or two. I remember one year in Scotland people were going to Skye with no wind and not getting midged! I guess that's why we are seeing more of them more south in recent years. Last summer wasn't too wet though, maybe this summer will be even drier, who knows

I'm off on my mountain bike now for a wee spin
Post edited at 12:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...