UKC

Driving with only one wing mirror... In France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jordangask 12 Jun 2014
Several weeks ago my neighbour knocked off my passenger side wing mirror, great! But now i'm finding replacing it difficult by checking scrapyards and ebay rather than spending £200 at a dealer.

Nonetheless, i'm off to France in a couple of weeks and I was wondering whether it was legal to drive in France with just my internal rear view mirror and my drivers wing mirror?
 RomTheBear 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Jordangask:

> Several weeks ago my neighbour knocked off my passenger side wing mirror, great! But now i'm finding replacing it difficult by checking scrapyards and ebay rather than spending £200 at a dealer.

> Nonetheless, i'm off to France in a couple of weeks and I was wondering whether it was legal to drive in France with just my internal rear view mirror and my drivers wing mirror?

It is legal on a left hand drive in france, as long as you don't have anything in the back of the car obstructing the view from the internal mirror.

However because your car will be RHD this is likely to be illegal, the French law state that you must have enough mirrors to be able to see any vehicle overtaking you, which is not going to be the case on a RHD vehicule driving on the right with no passenger side mirror.

If I were you I would get that mirror fixed before I go to France because it would be very awkward to drive on the right without it anyway.
Lusk 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Jordangask:

No idea on the legal front.
Get it replaced somehow though, overtaking is a nightmare without one.
(Lost mine in Germany once)
OP Jordangask 12 Jun 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

Thanks all, I suppose i'll have to bite the bullet and get one from a dealer, thanks again!
 Enty 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Jordangask:

> Thanks all, I suppose i'll have to bite the bullet and get one from a dealer, thanks again!

Definitely. I have a RHD car over here and I couldn't imagine driving it anywhere without the passenger side mirror. Overtaking on the autoroute would be hell - and also very dangerous.

E
 marsbar 12 Jun 2014
In reply to Jordangask:

The French Police seem more interested in stopping tourist cars than ones on French plates to check for spare bulbs etc. I wouldnt risk it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...