UKC

Creaking bottom bracket - to replace?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 12 Jun 2014
Ive got the Tiagra triple (4603) crankset. Initially fitted the tiagra BB cups which lasted about 6 months of moderate riding before they started creaking / clicking. I replaced them and again soon enough they started creaking badly, I dont do a lot of milage.
This time I decided to get my BB shell 'refaced' and shimano 105 cups fitted instead at a LBS. This time it only lasted about 200 miles and its started creaking again!

Im sure Ive tightened everything properly and its definately the BB.

So the question Im asking is, is this acceptable - they are only £13 after all? Should I try the top of the range Dura ace ones £27, or fork out big time for a hope BB £72?

Thanks for reading.
 link 12 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I got bored of changing bottom brackets so went for hope. My dad has run a hope BB on hit mountain bike and only recently had to do a bearing change after 3 years riding every week in all conditions
OP The Potato 12 Jun 2014
In reply to link:

were they shimanos too - which ones did you try if i may ask?
 link 12 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Three 105's got about 600 miles out of each before creaking started.
 sleavesley 12 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

About 1500 from DA.

Go hope.
OP The Potato 12 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

its pretty crap then isnt from shimano, yet my hollowtech bb on xc bike has been going 6 years
OP The Potato 13 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

anyway ive ordered a blue hope ss road BB, they didnt have it in stock in purple or gold sadly but then for £63.99 im satisfied.

Im usually impressed with shimano and had thought the external BB would be better than the old internal ones being lighter and stiffer, but hey ho, I know hope gear is excellent.
 link 13 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

They are lighter and stiffer however the bearings are more open to the elements. The standard bearings in a £9.99 bottom bracket cannot be that high quality. (I would expect to have to pay £30 for decent SKF bearings)

... Just checked, Hope replacement steel bearings are £17.30 each RRP
 mr rob 13 Jun 2014
In reply to link:

You don't have to replace with hope bearings, they don't make them and only sub it out

Just go to any online bearing shop and get some off there

200miles is pretty poor, would hate to have to swap out a BB every week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...