UKC

Sleeping mats, is there much difference between £20 and £100?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gd303uk 13 Jun 2014
Looking to buy a sleeping mat , and notice there is a massive difference in price depending on manufacture, can there be that much difference in a self inflating mat like the vango trek and the mountain equipment helium?
Any recommendations for a good mat welcome.
Thanks
Graham
 Flinticus 13 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

Not used self-inflating mats but when researching 'manual' inflating mats, weight (as in less) & thermal efficiency (more) were what you paid for at the higher end.
 lummox 13 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

In my experience of inflatable mats, cheaper is a false economy. Haven't ever had a problem with Thermarest.
OP gd303uk 13 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

Thanks for the advice ,
I will dig a little deeper I to my pocket,

Cheers
 SteveoS 13 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

Visit a local outdoor shop and try some?

I use a manual inflating one to save space.

OP gd303uk 13 Jun 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

I will check them out , i plan on calling into Betwys and ' llanberis this afternoon, to pick up some bits,
I am camping from the back of the car so weight isn't much of a factor I just want Shelley to be comfy and not hate camping as much as she did the last time

Cheers
Graham
 PPP 13 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

Self Inflating Mats might differ in weight/durability, comfort/thickness, R-value (how warm they are) and obviously, price. They also vary in lengths. I am 5'10" and use 120cm mat for 3 seasons as I can put a rucksack under my legs.

Don't forget that Thermarest gives you a lifetime warranty, too.
 RomTheBear 13 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> Looking to buy a sleeping mat , and notice there is a massive difference in price depending on manufacture, can there be that much difference in a self inflating mat like the vango trek and the mountain equipment helium?

> Any recommendations for a good mat welcome.

> Thanks

> Graham

I can't fault thermarest on their mat, and they have a huge range depending on what you need.
Lusk 13 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

Car camping, it's got to be a double air bed (from Argos)!
She'll love it
 Yanis Nayu 13 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

£80?

Do I win a prize?
 GeoffRadcliffe 13 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:
If you are carrying your stuff in the back of the car, you have lots of options. I have tried various mattresses, from blow up with a pump to self-inflating including the Thermarests.

I think the self-inflating mats are best as all the others I have had suffered from air leaks.

The most comfortable one I have used is the self-inflating Exped SIM Comfort 10 LW. It is 10 cm (4 inches) thick. They are expensive but IMHO worth every penny.
Post edited at 13:20
 ben b 13 Jun 2014
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe:

Agree, if it doesn't need carrying far and it's a matter of marital harmony the Exped Down Mats (or synthetic) are worth it.

Eventually you may -ahem - get your heart's desire from a double mummy bag with sleeves for the mats - comfy to lie on, don't roll around in the night, fillings stay on top and mat stays below. Big Agnes and various others available from REI - Oedipus where are you now....

b
 forcan 15 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

I thought I'd be happy for life with a foam mat (£10), until I got a Thermarest Trail Lite (£45) several years ago. Swore I'd never go back, because it was so comfy. Now I have a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xlite (£95), which is smaller, lighter and even more comfortable.

So yes, there is a difference. As you get older, you appreciate comfort more!
 3B48 15 Jun 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

If I'm driving to the campsite then a tenner or less for a bog standard air mattress will do the job, and very comfortably so.
If I'm back packing / fell camping then that's a different matter and I might want to weigh up £'s versus weight and comfort - what specifically you want your sleeping mat for will determine, to a degree, how much you spend and what's right for your spec
OP gd303uk 16 Jun 2014
In reply to All;
the good news is with new comfy mats( i splashed out) and a quilt to cover them as well as proper cushions, not to forget sleeping bags Shelley actually enjoyed her sleep and decided to go camping again, the bad news was she couldn't understand the reason I had the smallest tent on the site ( Nant Gwynant )and expressed her opinions considerably about tent envy and the coziness of the small thing i brought.
but even that didn't put Shelley off camping again, as on returning home she went on a mission and purchased; without much encouragement from me, a six person tent and is looking forward to Glamping in a couple of weeks time.
thanks for all the advice everybody, it was very useful.

Graham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...