UKC

The best way to do the Dolimites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 13 Jun 2014
Which way would be the best for a first time visit to the Dolimites. Book with some one like ingrhams, all sorted. Book flight and some where to stay separat. Book flights and stay in hostles and huts. If you book separate flights and acom do you need to hire a car is it possable to use public transport to get from airport and when you are there. Where would you base yourself for easy access to great clims up to HVS and great sceanery. Cheers in advance for your replys Russell.
 Firestarter 13 Jun 2014
In reply to Russell Lovett:

I've stayed a lot in Pordenone, plenty of accommodation available, great restaurants, good transport and not far from the Dolomites.
 Martin Bennett 13 Jun 2014
The answer to your last question is easiest, if non-specific - any of the main centres is as good as the next from the point of view of choice and variety of routes, lengths and difficulty. I've stayed in Cortina (several times), Arabba, Corvara and Canazei/Campitello. All have a huge selection of brilliant routes within a short drive. Yes - answering another question - I'd say you need to have a car, unless you could get accommodation at a high (but roadside) rifugio eg the one at Sella Pass, from which you can walk to many climbs. However this would mean only a tiny bit of a vast area would be available to you.

Your suggestion of eg Inghams leads me to think you're not going to camp. This being the case a chalet hol with Inghams or similar may well suit, I think perhaps Neilson's also do them, using the chalets they use for ski holidays in the winter. Only snag I can think of here is chalet holidays are half board - you may well pay for dinners you don't get back in time to eat!

Have you looked at Colletts holidays - they too do chalets (all near Corvara) and I've a feeling you can opt for just B&B. They also have staff on hand with a wealth of experience of the area. I've not had much success finding hostel style accommodation of the typre they call in France "gite d'etape, though they may exist. I'm sure there must be many villas and apartments for rent where you could self cater.

I don't know if you've yet obtained a guide book but I reckon, though it's old now, a good start is "Classic Dolomite Climbs" by Kohler and Memmel. It's inexpensive, readily available and has a good spread of routes geographically and across the grades. In recent years many sport climbing venues have been developed which are good for days with late starts or bad weather early on. A plethora of guide books to these is available - not cheaply though. And then there are the via ferrata as well as brilliant and dramatic walking. To finish with an answer to another of your questions - the scenery is remarkable just about everywhere.

Whatever you decide I reckon you can't fail to have a wonderful time there. I haven't been everywhere (yet) but among those places I have it's my favourite. Cheers.
Post edited at 21:54
Fonty 13 Jun 2014
Mrs F and I had our honeymoon in August in the Dolomites a couple of years ago. Took climbing kit and lightweight camping gear on a budget airline, then hired a car when we got there. Disaster ... rained for a fortnight. Definitely not the best way to do the Dolomites.
altirando 14 Jun 2014
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I would add a suggestion of Colletts too. Somewhere like Corvara. Vfs organised. Transport. Local knowledge. Possibility of linking with other people. Convivial evenings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...