UKC

Where to buy bolts and hangers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JJL 14 Jun 2014
Off to Cuba for a bit and planning to do some (but not exclusively) climbing.

They're short of gear and I'd like to take them some bolts and hangers.

Best place to buy? Am I right in thinking 10mm stainless is the ticket?

I won't be placing these myself by the way.
 Kemics 14 Jun 2014
In reply to JJL:

If they are coastal crags might need to use glue ins? I know in asia even marine grade stainless expansions have a very limited life.
OP JJL 14 Jun 2014
In reply to Kemics:

The crags are inland and the bolts in the guide all appear to be screw ins.

I can find 10mm coeur goujon at £5.50, here: http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/Petzl-Coeur-and-Goujon-Expansion-Bolt

Just wondered if anyone knew a cheaper source.
 jimtitt 14 Jun 2014
In reply to JJL:

Cuba is a tropical limestone area with a history of bolt failure. The locals wish that donated hardware is either titanium or HCR (2205) stainless steel. Titanium glue-ins are available as are titanium bolts-ins and hangers, 2205 bolt-ins are available but no hangers.
Cheap is not a word to use in connection with any of the above!
Importing into Cuba is only permitted for government agancies and joint-venture companies so you will have to persuade the customs guys the bolts are miscellaneous personal items.
OP JJL 14 Jun 2014
In reply to jimtitt:

Hi Jim

I leave on 30 June. I'd like to leave them with £50ish of kit (I'm only climbing for 1.5 days).

Should I just leave a rope or can you suggest something else. Happy for it to be "personal" items re import.
 jimtitt 14 Jun 2014
In reply to JJL:

No idea really what they need these days, apart from another revolution! Ask this guy armando@cubaclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...