UKC

Taking children on via ferrata - Briancon, Ailefroide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LP 15 Jun 2014
Hello wise people of the climbing world,

I am on my way to Ailefroide this summer and this year will have the missus' kids, who are 8 + 9, in tow. I've had them out climbing a fair bit and they will enjoy the climbing, I was just wondering of people's experience of the via ferrata in the area and their suitablility for kids as well as anyone's experience of taking kids on via ferrata.

Also, are there child specific via ferrata kits available?

Thanks in advance.
 suilven 15 Jun 2014
In reply to LP:
I know there is a fairly new VF just down the road from Ailefroide where the road goes through the tunnel but not been on it. I've seen kids on that one.

I took my wife on the Gorge Durance VF down the valley and she found it extremely physical so kids might struggle on that one (though I think there may be easier routes on it than the one we did!)It was certainly very spectacular with bridges crossing the gorge.

Le Grande Falaise VF was VERY long and again kids might struggle on it though again a spectacular route.

There is a family friendly one at the crags above Argentier le Besse which could be combined with some easy sports climbing.

We are heading back to Ailfroide in a couple of weeks - its a cracking area, hope you and the weans have fun!
Post edited at 15:07
 rj_townsend 15 Jun 2014
In reply to suilven:

The Ailefroide one mentioned above is fantastic - it splits into three sections, so the kids can see what they like. The first section involves some bridges, which they'll love.
OP LP 15 Jun 2014
In reply to LP:

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. We have three weeks down there so plenty of time to explore your suggestions - I take it the one by the bridge is escapable after each section as that sounds ideal? I hope you have a good trip suilven!
altirando 15 Jun 2014
In reply to LP:

Isn't there one at Fressinieres down the valley? Don't know if it is suitable for children. Also very airy one above the cable car top station from Serre Chevalier. Why not just email the Briancon tourist office for info?
 Gone 15 Jun 2014
In reply to LP:

Edelrid do a via ferrata kit with an adjustable braking component so it can be set to work with a 30kg child, 80kg adult, or anything in between. It's not cheap, but when kids' safety's at stake... An adult one would not deploy if they took a big fall, and would be very dangerous. If you don't get the above kit and there is a possibility that they could take a bad fall you should top rope the children. Not a concern on gentle slopes where they would just slide slowly down the rock before being stopped by the gear, but I haven't done any VFs there so don't know what they are like.
OP LP 15 Jun 2014
In reply to LP:

Cheers syv-k - that's what I was after. At that price I think they will have to go one at a time!

Cheers also altirando, I may well do that, I just wanted to post on here because I am a firm believer that the ukc masses know more about everything than anyone.

Thanks again all.
altirando 15 Jun 2014
In reply to LP:

Just as a matter of interest I went on the Hautes-Alpes via ferrata website. Info on several sites including one at Arsine especially advised for debutants. An in-forest one also looked good for children. A camp site in the main valley rather than up at Ailefroide might be more convenient. Bit of a jaunt driving down the valley every day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...