UKC

Shorn Cliff, accident?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ivanator 15 Jun 2014
There were emergency vehicles on the Forestry Path and a Helicopter scanning the crag late this afternoon. We heard what I assume were paramedics shouting up from the woodland asking if everyone was OK. It was quite busy in the great central cave area, but I saw and heard no evidence of an accident. Hoping it was a false alarm, or at worst an injury that someone will bounce back quickly from.
My thoughts are with anyone effected.
 jon_gill1 15 Jun 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

we also saw the helicopter from the car park at the abbey.we could see it hovering over the crag for quite some time.hope that everything turns out ok!
 hands solo 15 Jun 2014
we were at tintern today. seen the chopper flying about thought something might be up. hope everyone is ok if anyone is injured climb safe
Post edited at 22:13
 Steve nevers 16 Jun 2014

Had a look at the crag page, seems someone decked out from 20m on 'Hit and Run'. No idea on if the climbers ok, comment from the partners just asks about if someone could mind the gear left on route. Hope whoever fell is ok.
OP The Ivanator 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Steve nevers:

Deck out from 20m sounds very serious. Just hoping that the climber miraculously avoided the worst outcome. Met a really enthusiastic young guy at Great Central Cave area earlier in the day (we chatted about the great film of Brown and an ancient Whillans on Cemetery Gates) who after reeling off the HVSes there said he was keen to climb something harder, praying he wasn't involved. Best wishes to anyone involved and respect to the emergency team who would clearly have had a tough evacuation job to perform through the woods.
 jon_gill1 16 Jun 2014

Is that actually from yesterday? I know there's no date but there are two more entries from earlier in the year above that entry?
 Steve nevers 16 Jun 2014

@ Jon, the entries dated, as the 15th, so seems it was yesterday. Same guys made a thread saying about the same amount.

@Ivan, was this fella you where chatting to called Pete?
 wynaptomos 16 Jun 2014

There is another thread on this......

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=589911
 mattrm 16 Jun 2014

My mates who were up there also thought it was a false alarm as they didn't hear the sounds of any accident.

Seems like it wasn't tho. Hope he's ok. Fingers crossed.
 Felix Ottey 16 Jun 2014
Hi guys thank you all for your concern. I haven't put up too much information as my friend may want it kept private. He is however hopefully going to make a full recovery. Thank fully I managed to stabilise him and keep him going till mountain rescue and paramedics got on scene. A truly awfully hr of waiting.

jon_gill1 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Felix Ottey:

Sorry to hear that, a sad day for climbing.hope he makes a full recovery.and well done on keeping it together enough to get help and stabilise him.best wishes to everyone concerned.

jon

He was a tall guy who had just done No Musketeers when we arrived and had dropped a rack of nuts en route, making it a rather spicy ascent - we didn't actually introduce ourselves by name, so not sure if it was Pete.

Glad to hear it sounds like there is good prospect of a full recovery for the fallen climber. Get well soon!
 Felix Ottey 16 Jun 2014

No that was me who dropped the wires the guy who had the accident was my belayer rob.
 GrahamD 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Felix Ottey:

We must have seen you there as well, near the central cave area. Hope your mate is OK and not too put off by the ordeal.
In reply to Felix Ottey:

Sorry to hear what an ordeal you went through, shame you were isolated from other climbers when it happened, sounds like you could have done with some support.
Hope you get all the gear back and most importantly hope Rob is fixed soon, does sound like it could have been even worse, so thankful it sounds like he will recover given time.
Best wishes.
 GridNorth 16 Jun 2014

Sorry to hear about your friend, hope he gets well soon. Me and my mate had to use some aid to get up this a few weeks back. I thought it was tough for the grade, unless you are very strong and confident. I'm fascinated to know, did he place the gear at the bottom of the crack and "go for it" or did he fall while trying to place more gear? It's one of those routes that forces you to make that awfull choice.
 Felix Ottey 16 Jun 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

He placed last piece before run out up arête on the right above hollow block (which ripped) then ran out to the head wall crack placed a cam and number 2 wire got foot night with them and took a lob the cam and wire ripped te the next wire ripped also and he was on the ground.
 GridNorth 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Felix Ottey:

I hope that all those on UKC who treat falling off on trad so casually take note. I would have rated this route as being one that is relatively safe to fall off, at least at the crux.
 Yanis Nayu 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Felix Ottey:

Best wishes, and hopes for a full and speedy recovery to your mate.
 Felix Ottey 16 Jun 2014

Thank you all for your kind words I will pass the well wishes on to rob.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...