UKC

Polishing out scratches in plastic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JJL 16 Jun 2014
Daughter has scratched her GoPro housing in front of the lens.

Any wonder products out there?
Rigid Raider 16 Jun 2014
In reply to JJL:
It's easy to polish scratches out of plastic but that will cause a small optical aberration. If the scratch is deep you'll need to start with wet and dry paper, used wet, in increasingly fine grades then polish in increasingly fine grades. Something like Solvol Autosol is quite coarse and aggressive, then Brasso then car polish, which has quite a fine grain. I've had a lot of success in reviving scratched plastic watch glasses and safety specs in this way. With the finest wet and dry you'll achieve a milky finish and you can then bring that to clear with car polish.
Post edited at 08:52
OP JJL 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

By car polish, do you mean Tcut?
 rallymania 16 Jun 2014
In reply to JJL:

STOP!

the housing in front of the lens is glass, not plastic, and is a cheaply replaceable part.

here's the one for the "3"
http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/standard-housing-lens-replacement-kit

the older style lenses should still be available from online sellers.

Ben07 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Any idea if this would be ok to do with a Kindle touch screen?The damage on the screen is more like scuffmarks than deep scratch. Think it was done by a bit of sand paper in my bag. Cheers from Ben.
 Durbs 16 Jun 2014
In reply to JJL:

For acrylic, you can get Novus Plastic Polish - comes in 3 different grades depending on the scratch. Works very well, but can be hard to source. I ended up getting some from a Pinball table dealer as they use it for the tops.
Rigid Raider 16 Jun 2014
In reply to JJL:

No, T Cut is an abrasive liquid used for ripping off the top layer of the paint. Use it early in the process if there are deep scratches but follow up with car polish.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...