UKC

Using up frozen fruits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 16 Jun 2014
I'm using a house move as an excuse to finally empty my chest freezer, and give it a thorough cleaning. We've munched through most of the 15 kg of runner beans from last year and about 10 kg of assorted game. I've made strawberry, raspberry and jumbleberry (mixed) jams. I've made mixed berry crumbled and raspberry porridge. I've made all kinds orange marmalade.

I've still got some seville oranges, raspberries, gooseberries, blackberries and blueberries left. Along with about 2 kg of cooked apple.

Any suggestions that don't include jam or crumble? Preferably suggestions that have a high fruit content. Anyone got a good muesli blend?

BAdhoc 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

Blend with bananas and or icecream for a fruit milkshake smoothie
 RyanOsborne 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

Can you not blitz some of it up into a smoothie?
 The Potato 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

make wine!
 Tall Clare 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

Strudel!
 rousse 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

Birchermuesli for the berries and/or apple. I've used a Hugh F-W recipe which was quite nice.
OP Philip 16 Jun 2014
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Can you not blitz some of it up into a smoothie?

Good idea. Although I am also trying to watch my weight and adding ice cream to the fruit to make a drink which would probably replace my evening orange juice is not going the right way. But I think I'll give a go anyway.

Sadly the only ice cream I have left to finish up is my super minty, mint and chocolate chip. I infused a lot of mint in the cream and the result is somewhere close to Trebor extra strong mints.
 lost1977 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

made a nice raspberry clafoutis yesterday (best made with fresh fruit but i used frozen yesterday and it was still very tasty)
OP Philip 16 Jun 2014
In reply to lost1977:

Good idea. I also have some eggs to use up, and that's a quick option. Blueberry clafoutis tonight.
 Tall Clare 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

Don't put ice cream in the smoothie.
 tlm 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

Put fruit into all your savoury cooking.
Make chutney.
OP Philip 16 Jun 2014
> Make chutney.

That is my plan for the gooseberries. That and some apple-free mincemeat for my Uncle.

RyanOsborne 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

I reckon there must be a smoothie recipe with fat free yoghurt or similar instead of ice cream?
 lost1977 16 Jun 2014
In reply to tlm:

That just reminded me I made a lovely steak and stout pie with raspberries, might make a venison casserole with blackberries and whisky soon haven't had that for ages
 walts4 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/iced_berries_with_63709

Guaranteed to use up vast quantities of frozen berries & so easy to put together, very addictive..
 LeeWood 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

yes apple works well in chutney and also for curries
 tlm 17 Jun 2014
In reply to lost1977:

I think the thing I like about using up fruit in savoury dishes is that it avoids just bunging more refined sugar into your diet (much as I love crumbles, pies and all the rest). It is surprising what chunks of apple go with - just about any meat or fish!
 ripper 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

who needs a recipe for a smoothy? just bung in a load of fruit and add whatever you fancy/have to hand. mine sometimes include all, some or none of the following: banana, oats, flax seeds, peanut butter, ground almonds, fresh ginger, ground coriander, plain yoghurt, almond milk, a teaspoon of cocoa powder, the crumbly bits from the bottom of a box of weetabix minis...
OP Philip 17 Jun 2014
In reply to tlm:

My wife has a no fruit with meat policy. I can get away with lemon, and he occasional apple in a pork casserole.
 lost1977 17 Jun 2014
In reply to tlm:

you've now got me thinking about Chausa Mangoes with either a prawn or fish curry
 tlm 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

Apples disintegrate if you put them in a sauce for too long, so she might not notice...
 DaCat 17 Jun 2014
Sorbet is very easy to make. You could make French style fruit compote which can be re-frozen. When mixed with a dollop of natural yogurt its delicious. Another thing you could make is frozen yoghurt with mixed fresh fruit.

Toerag 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

Make jam and sell it to your colleagues at work. Everyone loves homemade jam.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...