UKC

Blatant Disregard for Parking Regulations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 16 Jun 2014
The other day, whilst waiting in the car for Mrs to return, a contractors vehicle pulled up on the other side of the road. As far as I could tell the driver disregarded no less than three parking rules:

1. He stopped on a double yellow line
2. BOTH near side wheels were on the pavement(by at least a foot)
3. The vehicle was within 15 feet of a corner

Equally mindlessly he parked in such close proximity to the vehicle in front that its occupants, on returning, experienced considerable difficulty in opening the boot and load a wheelchair.

Particularly in regard to the last point and given that the vehicle was emblazoned with the contractor's name, address etc. I was sorely tempted to fire off an email to them.

Would anyone else have done so?
 Rampikino 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Potentially if it really caused danger or inconvenience that was obvious and imminent.

What was it in particular that worked you up about this instance given that illegal and inconsiderate parking happens very frequently? I'm curious because the times I would step in would normally be as outlined above - imminent danger or serious inconvenience.
OP mypyrex 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Rampikino:

> that was obvious and imminent.

There's your answer - the disabled occupant of the car in front.
OP mypyrex 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Rampikino:

> What was it in particular that worked you up about this instance given that illegal and inconsiderate parking happens very frequently?

I've rarely seen such disregard for so many regulations and lack of consideration for other road users at one time.
 wbo 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Do you think it was someone here? If not send them an email and see what happens.
OP mypyrex 16 Jun 2014
In reply to wbo:

> Do you think it was someone here? If not send them an email and see what happens.

Not unless they are fencing contractors :oP
 Glyno 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Not unless they are fencing contractors :oP

you took offence?
 Neil Williams 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I have complained about a Community Transport vehicle which was parked in such a location that it impeded visibility and posed a hazard to cyclists, as well as being within 10m of the junction. The member of staff (who parked it at home during break periods) was told to park it more sensibly and to be fair they did.

Neil
 RockAngel 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Some twonk parks their whole car on the pavement on a corner here. It completely blocks the sidewalk so pedestrians have no choice but to walk in the road. I've taken pics of them obstructing the path & posted it on social media.
OP mypyrex 16 Jun 2014
In reply to RockAngel:

Can you not take the pics to the police or whoever. Presumably they show the registration so should be simple to ID the culprit.
 Yanis Nayu 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

A thread on UKC as a minimum. I took my disabled mum to Marks and Sparks once, and had to park miles away, as the police had parked a propaganda wagon across all the parking spaces for disabled people. I shit you not.
 pec 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> 2. BOTH near side wheels were on the pavement(by at least a foot)
> 3. The vehicle was within 15 feet of a corner >

Not really connected with your incident, but every evening there must be about a million vehicles infringing one of those two rules. With so many vehicles parked outside houses in streets which were never designed for cars its almost impossible not to.

Martin W 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Bizarrely, this isn't specifically illegal, except in London - see HIghway Code Rule 244: https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/parking-239-to-247 Around here it's all too common to see people parked half on the footway, the other half blocking the cycle lane at the side of the carriageway, presumably so as not to "get in the way" of the motorised vehicular traffic.

When people do get done for parking on the footway outside of London, the actual offence cited is usually one of driving on the footway (how else did they get the vehicle's wheels there?) or causing an obstruction. I have no idea why the law that applies in London has never been changed to apply to the whole of the UK.

The argument that "there's often nowhere else two park" simply isn't good enough. Is there any other situation in which a law beneficial to the majority is not enacted simply because it would be 'inconvenient' to the minority of people who currently do the thing that would become unlawful?
OP mypyrex 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Martin W:
There is a regulation, which I shall look up, which DOES say that a vehicle may not mount a pavement other than to gain access to a property -such as when you are entering a driveway. So that effectively makes it illegal. I'll post a link when I find it
Post edited at 22:21
OP mypyrex 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Martin W:
It's 145 here:

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/general-advi...

Thus, by parking with two wheel ON the pavement, he will have driven on the pavement.
Post edited at 22:19
 jon 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I see you're back on form, Pyrex. Excellent!
Lusk 16 Jun 2014
In reply to jon:

> I see you're back on form, Pyrex. Excellent!

Haha, just what I was thinking!
Good to see the medication is working.
 JoshOvki 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Don't suppose you live in Pontypridd do you?! We have this exact situation most days at the moment at the end of my street where work is being done on a house.
 Mark Kemball 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Well, in our street, we all park half on the pavement - otherwise the street is too narrow. It's an old cul de sac of terraced houses, so we mainly walk down the middle of the street - have to dodge the kids playing football, tennis or manhunt though (and the occasional horse rider)!
 Blue Straggler 16 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

At least it was probably straight, then

Duncan Bourne 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I don't suppose it crossed your mind that the contractor had work/deliveries to make and might actually have been trying to park in such a way as to not block the road to passage to other vehicles? I suppose a "would you mind just moving your van so I can load my wheelchair?" question wasn't an option?
I am not saying that they shouldn't have parked better but sometimes it isn't an option
OP mypyrex 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

No, he disappeared and then came back with a pack of KFC so obviously not on a job.It was during his absence that the other vehicle occupants had to struggle with the wheelchair
 Rampikino 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

So it was lazy and inconsiderate and perhaps even dangerous. I would say go for it and let his bosses know.
 MG 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Is there any way he could have known about the wheelchair user? It's normal to park cars close together as you get more in. Also you are allowed to load and unload when parked on double yellows providing you don't cause an obstruction, which is perhaps best done by putting wheels on the pavement sometimes.
 Bulls Crack 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Clearly a Daily Mail reader who probably accuses 'the council' of collecting parking revenue from the good, honest motorist.
OP mypyrex 17 Jun 2014
In reply to MG:
> Is there any way he could have known about the wheelchair user?

I don't see the relevance of that. He parked too close to the vehicle in front - end of.
> Also you are allowed to load and unload when parked on double yellows

Sorry you're wrong there,
https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/waiting-and-parking-238
(There were upright signs)
Post edited at 09:06
 MG 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> I don't see the relevance of that. He parked too close to the vehicle in front - end of.

The relevance is that it is normal to park close together to make the best use of the available space. Are you saying you always leave sufficient room for wheel chair access to the rear of a vehicle when parking? Is so, you are unique.

> Sorry you're wrong there,

No, you are confusing waiting, parking and loading. Eg

http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/browse-display.shtml?p_ID=505296&p_subj...
OP mypyrex 17 Jun 2014
In reply to MG:

Irrespective of the wheel chair issue there was insufficient space between the two vehicles. I'm talking inches NOT feet.

>No, you are confusing waiting, parking and loading. Eg

Regardless and as I said earlier, but perhaps you didn't read it properly, he was clearly NOT loading or unloading.
 MG 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Regardless and as I said earlier, but perhaps you didn't read it properly, he was clearly NOT loading or unloading.

Well you didn't actually - you did mention he bought a KFC so maybe it was implied. But, to summarize, it was not obvious he was breaking any law, and in any case you weren't aware of what the law says, and further there was no way he could have known about the need for wheelchair access. But other than that getting upset and reporting the matter on UKC makes perfect sense.
OP mypyrex 17 Jun 2014
In reply to MG:
> it was not obvious he was breaking any law,

You are unbelievable:

"1. He stopped on a double yellow line
2. BOTH near side wheels were on the pavement(by at least a foot)
3. The vehicle was within 15 feet of a corner"

Oh, I get it; it was you, otherwise why are you seeking to mitigate your actions.
Post edited at 09:34
 Sir Chasm 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex: Perhaps he's gone now.

OP mypyrex 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Sir Chasm:

> Perhaps he's gone now.

Yes, he drove off whilst talking on his mobile
 MG 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> You are unbelievable:

> "1. He stopped on a double yellow line

We established above that's not necessarily a problem.

Nor is that. I could quote various councils' guidance on this but I'll let you google yourself.

> 3. The vehicle was within 15 feet of a corner"

That may indeed be illegal but again you might want to double check the loading rules.

> Oh, I get it; it was you, otherwise why are you seeking to mitigate your actions.

No, I was just a bit bored and felt like baiting internet busy bodies.
 Neil Williams 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

"Loading" is not "waiting" or "parking". However to be loading you do actually need to be loading, you can't load then leave your car there for an hour.

If loading is not permitted, there will be yellow marks on the kerb, or in London double red lines.

Neil
OP mypyrex 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

> "Loading" is not "waiting" or "parking". However to be loading you do actually need to be loading,

Which he was NOT
 Neil Williams 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Didn't say he was. But you said:-

> > Also you are allowed to load and unload when parked on double yellows
>
> Sorry you're wrong there,
> https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/waiting-and-parking-238
> (There were upright signs)

And I was correcting that false statement.

Neil
OP mypyrex 17 Jun 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

Well it's all obviously a very grey area and personally I would remove all possibility of doubt by not parking in the manner that he did. He obviously couldn't be bothered to look for a legitimate parking spot - there were plenty in the vicinity.
 DaCat 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

If you are so upset by this guys actions, why didn't you approach him and politely point out the error of his ways? *I suppose this type could of had a gun, a knife or a dangerous weapon* **= sarcasm.

I really wouldn't get my knickers in a tangle if I saw someone park on the kerb, park too close to a corner or park on double yellow lines because it happens all the time but I would have something to say to that driver if I saw he'd blocked wheelchair access. What I wouldn't do is grumble about it on a completely irrelevant website.

May I suggest that if you see this sort of thing happen again, be a little more pro-active. The man is unlikely to attack you, especially if his company name is written all over his van.
 coolhand 17 Jun 2014
Are you guys aware of youparklikeac*nt.co.uk
 tony 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

What was his side of the story?
 ewar woowar 17 Jun 2014
In reply to coolhand:

One of those images is NSFW!

;~))
 jimjimjim 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
I think everyone on this thread including myself for reading a few replies and then posting, need to get out more.
 marsbar 17 Jun 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:

Are you sure common sense is allowed on ukc?
In reply to mypyrex:

> He obviously couldn't be bothered to look for a legitimate parking spot - there were plenty in the vicinity.

Ok this is a bit weird. You start by listing three points for your outrage.
1. Parked on double yellows
2. Parked on pavement
3. parked to close to junction

you then add the wheelchair user, to establish the moral high ground

You then add that he went to get a KFC (ie he wasn't actually working)

You now add that there were plenty of legitimate parking spots in the area.

Is there anything else to throw into the mix before we condemn this individual? I just want to establish what the circumstances were.
 MG 17 Jun 2014

You forgot driving off on the phone.
 RockAngel 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Probably but it's classed as low priority, especially if a police person has not seen it for themselves so they probably wouldn't do anything
 DaCat 17 Jun 2014
In reply to MG:

> You forgot driving off on the phone.

No doubt whilst eating his KFC ?!?

I think we should find this man and give him 30 lashes.
 steve taylor 17 Jun 2014
In reply to DaCat:

> No doubt whilst eating his KFC ?!?

> I think we should find this man and give him 30 lashes.

Where I am (Saudi) , this is normal behaviour. They also follow in a long queue behind ambulances - those that are in front of the ambulance don't get out of the way, because they know that there is a long line of vehicles following closely in it's wake.

I drive like I would in the UK, and that really confuses them, especially when I indicate and give way approaching roundabouts!
 DaCat 17 Jun 2014
In reply to steve taylor:

Laughs... When I was in Egypt, they wanted to know why I kept my headlights on at night. If they have street lights they tend to turn their headlights off.
 ewar woowar 17 Jun 2014

> Ok this is a bit weird. You start by listing three points for your outrage.

> 1. Parked on double yellows

> 2. Parked on pavement

> 3. parked to close to junction

> you then add the wheelchair user, to establish the moral high ground

> You then add that he went to get a KFC (ie he wasn't actually working)

> You now add that there were plenty of legitimate parking spots in the area.

> Is there anything else to throw into the mix before we condemn this individual? I just want to establish what the circumstances were.

He's a witch, he turned me into a newt!
In reply to MG:

> You forgot driving off on the phone.

Oh yeah....sorry
In reply to DaCat:

> Laughs... When I was in Egypt, they wanted to know why I kept my headlights on at night. If they have street lights they tend to turn their headlights off.

Out in the desert it is so that bandits don't shoot at them
In reply to ewar woowar:

Burn him!!
 birdie num num 17 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Double yellow lines are like red lights, they're merely a guide and it's great that most folks do what they suggest as it leaves plenty of parking specks for the Num Num mobile.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...