HILLTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Mountain Rescue and the RAC

jimmyr on 16 Jun 2014
New to the site so I thought I'd try these thoughts.

I read recently that there is a large increase in mountain rescue call-outs and that around half of all incidents requiring assistance can be traced back to a navigation error.

On another forum, I read a claim that in the future there will be, “Those who want to navigate themselves and those who want to follow a GPS.” A follow up post said, “Everyone will be using only GPS in 10 years.”

I then reflected on the near sycophantic praise for mountain rescue teams seen on forums and in the media following a rescue – is it because (for some) the rescue team has become an integral part of planning for a day on the hill. An RAC or Green Flag for the hill walker.

Co-ordinator of mountain rescue in Grampian, said: “… we may be about to witness a marked increase in the complete reliance of Smartphone apps to navigate some of the UK’s highest mountains . . . what is particularly concerning is that the individuals who are relying on this technology often do not possess even rudimentary mountain navigation skills.”

Is it better to learn those rudimentary skills rather than choosing to make a donation to a rescue team after a call-out.
... not showing 16 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums